Planning on spending the day on the water? Sounds like fun. But keep safety a number one priority for you and those around you. Here are a few things you should keep in mind before venturing out.
• DO NOT drink and boat. As the captain you are responsible for the safety of everyone on your boat and those you come into contact with. With so many boats on the water, the 4th of July is not a time to take risks.
• Make sure that all of your navigation lights are working. Other boaters need to be able to see you in the dark.
• Get a chart plotter or other navigation device on board when navigating at night. Slow speeds are always better in these conditions and an extra lookout can be invaluable.
• Wear your life jacket. Wear your life jacket. Wear your life jacket. Plus keep all other safety equipment on board.
• Be patient and kind. Boat ramps and waterways will be congested after the fireworks. By hanging out for a few extra minutes, the crowds will clear out before you head home.