“What’s in a name?” The great author William Shakespeare would argue that the naming of things would be irrelevant. However when it comes to naming a boat, picking a name can bring forth an entirely new perspective on boating. With this in mind, let’s take a look back at the Top 10 boat names ordered this season through the BoatUS online boat graphics and see which names had the most meaningful impact of 2022.
1. Andiamo: It makes sense that a country known for its famous waterways would be deeply connected to a name for a boat. Holding the No. 1 spot for two years now the Italian word Andiamo is still greatly cherished by boaters. Meaning “let’s go / we go / come on” Andiamo truly brings forth the spirit of boating. It’s also used as a happy refrain from captains as they head to open waters.
2. Osprey: There is certainly nothing *fowl* about this name. Having never made it to the top 10 before, we welcome Osprey with open arms. Instead of the old 2nd place champ Social Distancing from last year, we now have a second place champ who focuses on this idea of flying and openness.
3. Serenity: This calming name has been very popular for quite some time. Having made it to the top 10 seven times since 2010, Serenity continues to float into victory. Second Wind is also now tied with Serenity and both can thank sailboaters for getting them into the top 10.
4. Encore: This name is also a newcomer in the ranks of the top 10. Encore may be the boat name of choice for an entertainer or partier. Or, it could simply indicate the “next” boat to take the place of a previous one. Either way, we hope that Encore will make a second appearance for the 2023 top 10 list.
5. Zephyr: Last appearing on the top 10 in 2010 this oldie but a goodie is certainly welcomed back. Referencing warm breezes and tranquility, it seems to bring forth a theme of relaxation amongst boaters.
6. Second Wind: Coming back in full force Second Wind is still popular as ever. Yet, is this boat named for a new chapter in life or achievement? A comeback? A new strength? We’ll never know for sure, but it certainly seems like it won’t back down either way.
7. Adventure: A boat with this name is usually doing something exciting or astounding while out on the water. Why else would so many name their boat Adventure? This name is required to come with some kind of epic journey of some kind.
8. Knot on Call: This boat name serves as a “do not disturb” notice that on-the-water time can’t be tampered with. It’s best to give some space if you see a name like this on the water.
9. Shenanigans: Quit fooling around. Shenanigans are a part of every boating culture. Just expect to get pranked though if you come across a boat with this name. Who knows what tricks these boats have up their sleeves…
10. Grace: Last but certainly not least, we have Grace. This is its fourth appearance on the top 10 boat names list since 2010 and it makes sense. Grace likely holds a deeper meaning for vessels with beautiful lines or for those that navigate with finesse. This is the one boat in the marina that also makes everything look easy.
So what’s in a name? Clearly a lot when boating is involved. While some names may be a bit cheesy, there are a lot of names out there that mean a lot to the owner. From remembering past experiences, to looking to the future, a boat name carries a lot of weight. What will you name yours?
For a look at all of the BoatUS Top 10 Boat Names lists over the years, go to BoatUS.com/BoatNames. The BoatUS Graphics service offers an online design tool that allows you to easily create custom boat graphics with fast turnaround times. BoatUS also offers simple step-by-step video instructions on how to install your new graphics yourself.