Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Under skin, You can see the logic to TAP Fins

Default Under skin, You can see the logic to TAP Fins

As you can see the difference in Energy efficiency.
    Attached Thumbnails H..jpg   101_0783..jpg   101_0776..jpg  
    Last edited by funtooner; 09-22-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Now add the under skin, Yet the force of energy is still getting away.
    Attached Thumbnails 100_0032..jpg   testing smokercr&#.jpg  
    Last edited by funtooner; 09-22-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

So that energy is out side as well as in side Y let it go?
    Attached Thumbnails 000_0004..jpg  
    Last edited by funtooner; 09-22-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

Uderskinning costs $200 and anyone can do it.

Tap Fins cost 10 times that and you have to have an expert to install them. Honestly Malcolm, I see about $400 in material in a set of Tap Fins for inside and out on my 20 foot boat. Maybe another $400 to have them welded on. What is the retail for a set on a 20 foot boat? I think you have a viable product I just think you have it priced WAYYY too high. I am NOT picking at you, you asked a question and I answered it.

I don't know the exact prices but I bet I can buy a 22 foot center log with a transom for less than I could have Tap Fins (or EZ Glider) installed on my boat.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Red face

Larry,
    Lets be clear about this. You get what you pay for, as for 10 times the coast of under skinning... You are wrong .
    We went thru this before But you can't seem to get it.
    Any body can install the fins if they use the Extreme Adhesive. (even you)
    All the under skin does is keep the the pontoon from surging .
    Rember you typed about adding a middle log, But the force of energy was to much to over come.
    I've been clear about the TAP Fins for over 10years , Yet the egos of some people just can't come to grips with facts.
    This is Not a advertisement ,...so I will not go there. (price of a set of fins)
    As a moderader You should know better. I'm not picking on you , Just showing what you do not what to see or here.
    Facts as to pontooning and logic with it.
    Have a great week end out on you pontoon , I'm going to.
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

Red face

If you look at (old forum's) Under the tread
    Restortion/Project Boat
    Poor mans Tri-toon Larry has a great story with what he has done .
    Last edited by rickdb1; 08-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

OK Bud, I looked and the cost of the fins for my boats is $1000 delivered, and I am sure my welder could put them on in 20 hours which costs me $400. It is not as much as I thought. My underskinning cost me $160 for material and I provided the labor. I will concede that the cost is not 10 times that of underskinning, maybe 5 or 6, OK? Underskinning provides more than a surgeless ride, I think it gives a little boost in speed along with a quieter smoother ride.

I still think the cost difference makes underskinning a more attractive upgrade to Joe Sixpack. It is also not as intimidating an installation process. If a person can lay a piece of carpet, they can underskin a boat.

You should get some data out from people who have successfully used the epoxy installation method. If people could see these being installed in someones backyard it would help to sell them. Please don't tell me to go look stuff up about the fins, you ARE advertising them in almost every post, if you want people to consider them give them all the information they need to make a decision. If you don't know how to provide the information you should find some marketing help.

On my center log project the problem was large diameter tubes. When the boat got up on top of them they lifted the motor out of the water. The prop, no matter what prop we tried, came up out of the water at 30 MPH. We had too much lift not too little, the prop pulled out of the water at 30 MPH with no center tube on at all.

If I got serious about making the 'toon go a little faster I would probably get the transom cut down 5 inches and put the 70 I have on my Sea Nymph on along with the center tube I had made for the poor man's project. I am happy with a 20 mph 'toon and a 35 mph fishing boat right now, so no modifications in the future for either of my boats. We got some splash over the bow at low speeds yesterday with some folks out in the bow, the third log is the fix for that. At 5 MPH no strake or fin will do what the third log does for the ride. I fixed the splash issue yesterday by moving some folks to the stern for a while. If I wanted strakes or fins I would go to my friend the truck body builder's business, have him cut and bend the strakes like the Tracker NV models I like so much and get them mounted. I might also get out the extrusion book, find one I like and get him to order me 80 feet of it.

I am not going to get into a fin argument with you, I just don't agree with some of the things you say, that doesn't mean I have ego issues, or comprehension issues. I "get" most things quite well. I will post my opinion in a civil manner, and expect nothing more from anyone else here.

I'm not a fin basher I think they are a viable product, but I do think you could use some marketing help.
    Last edited by Moser; 08-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Red face

Larry,
    1st my name is Malcolm.

2nd it might be Your game "Joe Sixpack" and that's where your Facts and info get off track.
    With the under skin very little boost of speed ,But the quieter .. Yes . People do not want to here the way losted Efficiency sounds.

3nd we have a US Patented Technology ...so you go for it.
    Any time your down here I would be happy to show you and give you a ride.

Have a great week.

Malcolm.
    Last edited by funtooner; 08-06-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

The "Bud" was a friendly term not a smarta$$ term, sorry if it offended you. If I was being a smarta$$ I would have said "Bub".

Joe Sixpack is a term referring to "everyman" a group you should be marketing to.

I have been using reverse engineering as a part of my job for over 40 years. People all over the world look at other peoples designs, including patented ones, and copy and improve them for for their own purposes every day. I am a person with some fab skills with friends with considerable fab skills who likes to tinker with boats almost as much as I like to go boating. If I wanted to copy a set of tap fins I would, it wouldn't be difficult and I'm sure you know that.

Malcolm I am not your enemy. I think your product is something that will work on our boats and I hope you are successful selling it. I wish you could discuss it without going into the super defensive/semi attack mode you take everytime someone expresses an opinion that doesn't go along with yours.

Here's a question. The fins are placed at the "3" o'clock and "9" o'clock positions on tap fins. Would they not capture the water sooner and be more effective palced at "4" and "7"?
    Last edited by Moser; 08-07-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: still can't type
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Larry,
    At "4" and at "7" You dig. But at "3 and "9" your flat and the force is even ( MFG's have placed them all over the sides, with No luck)
    I just took some pictures and would like (love)to see this Revers Engineering.

I don't take it as being a smart### .But with ALL the arm chair engineers here I'm just defending a great product. Rember,I didn't buy into what is out there and have been pontooning from 1988, with a lot of different pontoon boats.

Youv'e seen the BS that's been said , I'm just telling it the way it is.
    How it's under stood .. That's up to each other
    I'm having fun helping others with there pontoon.
    Malcolm.
    Attached Thumbnails 100_4025..jpg   100_4027..jpg   Princecraft Fins &.jpg   100_3300..jpg  
    Last edited by funtooner; 09-22-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

+ Reply to Thread