Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Under skin, You can see the logic to TAP Fins

I will do a fresh video for this soon. ( youtube)
    to help see .
    Have a great weekend.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Why is there different mounting applications? One pic has the "lip" turning up, and the next pic has the "lip" turning down.... What is the difference. Would think you would want it facing down... Would standard aluminum angle railing work" Meaning, I am great friends with an Airboat company that I airboat with that has aluminum by the truck loads..

Good Morning, As you can see from the pictures, one way (lip turning down) will work and the other (lip turning up) will NOT.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Hi Malcolm. Have there been any long term results of the Tap Fins using the adhesive method? In other words, has the adhesive method worked flawlessly or have there been instances of the adhesive failing under the pressure and coming loose? I know you'd rather not talk about any failures and I don't blame you, but to be a viable option to installing the Tap fins, I think it would be good to know how they have held up in the long term. Of course, alot depends on the installer doing it correctly. But overall, would you say the adhesive method is a success?
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Ok, let me throw my 24 cents worth in. If you are considering Tap Fins, and remember that I have them on my pontoon, why even risk the adhesive being a problem one day? Don't even consider the extra price of having them welded on. Having them welded on will completely eliminate any fear of them coming off, ever! And no one ever said boating was going to be cheap or that the cheapest solution was going to be the best one. alright, that was probably 25 cents worth but since I am an owner, I felt like I deserved it!
    2012 Berkshire 230 CL LTD w/Tap Fins
    2012 90 HP Mercury on 6" Z-Lock Jack Plate and Stingray Stabilizer Fin
    2013 Load Rite Elite Trailer
    Located in beautiful Sunny, Central Virginia

The problem there is that they tell you you can install them with 2 part epoxy. That might lead the average Joe to think that he could put them on himself.

Some of you have read my responses to other fin threads where I talk about a local truck body company that does a lot of alumunum welding. I spoke to the owner of that company the other day about the cost of putting on lifting strakes. He installs them for several local boat dealers, mostly for the big player at the Raystown. He says he does about 2 to 3 per month in the Summer. He told me that since it has to be tigged, and it has to be done in little bits at a time and then allowed to cool, he allows 10 hours to install a set, and said to figure on $1000 to insure you had it covered.

This man builds aluminum bodied trucks for a living, such as tankers, fire trucks, trucks for municipalities, etc. and does quite well at it. He uses body panel adhesive to attach many many things in his business. I asked him if he thought you could glue them on with body panel adhesive. (I have to assume that this is the adhesive that the Conrad marine website is talking about.) He thought about it for a second and said "You know I never tried it, but I bet you could."

Here is an offer to Conrad Marine, you send me a set for a 20 foot boat. I won't mess around with the DIY stuff, I'll pay this extremely well qualified pro to glue them on. I will then give you test feeback for the next 5 years free of charge.

Better yet, I'll pay him to weld one on and glue the other, that will give you a real test of whether or not the glue works.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Larry
    Thanks , But no Thanks
    Rick we do not make the epoxy, and others use different Adhesives.(like body shops) to hold the fin on.
    We have pontoons up in Alaska and down in the Keys that have had the epoxy on them for years
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

I guess like Danny said, just weld them on and be done with it. I have a hard time spending that much on the fins only to have them fall to the bottom of the lake. I wish we could get some testimonials from previous customers who used the adhesive years ago and see how they've held up. What is the process for using the adhesive? Do the fins need to be clamped on for a certain time period and what type of clamp would you use? I'm guessing a VERY large clamp and alot of them..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Some of the adhesive has small balls in the product to keep the pieces being glued from touching each other, insuring that a layer of adhesive remains between them.

This stuff is tough, I have heard of fenders being torn off in wrecks 2 inches from the adhesive, and the adhesive not failing.

I've been thinking about trying to make some lifting strake/fin type devices from an extrusion, or getting them bent for me for a long time. I was thinking I would lay them out on the log and use the adhesive with a few carefully placed rivets or rivnuts to help secure them until the adhesive set. I think you could wrap the log and fin with a ratchet strap, fore and aft, and hold everything in place until the adhesive set too, without rivets or rivnuts.

This project is way down the list, right after I find the 115 XL shaft motor for on the boat.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

You'd probably have similar issues to the welding guys who have to fight warping as they weld. maybe make a box from wood to bridge the fin and hold it in place against the tube, then use the ratchet straps every couple feet.

The welding guy said most of what he does is on brand new boats; so they have to be perfect, he said they are a PITA, but pay good so he doesn't turn them away.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread