Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Under skin, You can see the logic to TAP Fins

I have had 2 sets of splash fins welded to my transom and both have failed (including the original ones from the factory). So really 3 sets have failed. I guess it's the crazy amount of stress from the spray from the prop and water rushing to the back that tears them loose. I've pretty much given up on having them done again. Oddly enough, they do provide lift in the back and do affect perfomance, both in hole shot and top end. So I guess to tie this into the original discussion, there is a whole lotta force going on near the back of the toon. Especially if you have strakes on the inside of the log too..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Get some body panel adhesive and a handful of big pop rivets and put them back on yourself. Just make sure you seal the rivets up real well with the adhesive, it dries to a very hard plastic like consistency.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Your point on under skin?
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Good morning everyone....being new to this site I did a lot of reading and no posting. Many people have been very helpful in supplying info that helped me decide on adding an aluminum underskin and strakes on my 2013 SunChaser. Prior to the install I was achieving a top speed of 34.6 MPH (gps) on my 20' twin log Etec 135 HO boat. Performance since the install has jumped to 44.6 MPH with a marked increase in holeshot performance, quietness, minimal spray, and no surging at any speed. I used .080 aluminum skin that was riveted, and the strakes (inside and outside of tubes) were welded. Low speed performance and turning has not been affected in any way by the addition of the strakes.
    Attached Thumbnails 14317432_1015375622&.jpg   Underskin..jpg  

Great to hear from you Mark

Glad to hear of a happy toner.
    My question... Of the 2 modifications, which gave you the greatest improvement? Strakes or Under-skin.

What prop and pitch, any pictures of your tac and speedo to show this?
    What about showing your underside in action?
    The pontoon sure does shine from the picture your showing.
    Last edited by funtooner; 10-23-2016 at 06:49 AM. Reason: more questions
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

thumbs up

Darn, Larry
    I'm sorry for calling you out on this I've seen you info on old motor as well as other stuff, something to be said about knowledge with wisdom ,over the years WE both have found it. Thanks for being patience with me.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

+ Reply to Thread