Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for expert advise

Default looking for expert advise

I have a brand new shiny toon, I would love to have pole holders and down riggers on my boat but I dont want them to get in the way of the cover or get in the way of cruising, swimming and water sports. Any suggestions?

2014 Lowe SS23O RFL
    Northern Indiana
    Near Lake Michigan

Profile taken on Lake Michigan

That's going to be tough. I've had 6 rod holders and 2 downriggers on a 2"x2" 8' long aluminum tube "trolling bar" for about 20 years. I've had the bar on at least 6 different boats including 2 pontoons. It lets you keep all the rod holders and downriggers at the stern outside the railing. On the pontoons the bar is mounted to 2 aluminum 2" diameter tube posts that sit just outside the rear railing and rest on galvanized plates screwed down into the rear decks. The posts are attached to both horizontal rails with 2" conduit clamps. I'll find a picture of the bar or take one and post it. It is not on the fishing boat right now because I don't start to troll a lot until later in the year.

The trolling bar could be mounted so as to let you quickly unmount it to store it or cruise without it. The tough part would be where to stow it and using the stern area while it is mounted.

There are lots of good mounting hardware choices available to let you quickly mount and dismount your rod holder or downriggers including rail systems from which mine was copied, but they will eventually tear your cover, unless you take it to a canvas shop and have it reinforced in the spots where the hardware is on the rails. You could easily tie up several thousand dollars in hardware and modifications.

Driftmaster makes very good rod holders with low profile screw in bases that might not come through the cover right away. I've used potholders over mounting hardware to protect the cover, but they will eventually slip or the hardware will work it's way through.

I finally bought a second boat to fish out of. It's very hard to use a pontoon for serious fishing and keep it nice.

Here's the bar on my fishing boat. I have mini-troll down riggers that fit in the outboard rod holder mounts. There are very nice mounting systems available for on boat railings, but the problem of stowage and interference with covers and using the boat with the system in place remain.
    Last edited by Moser; 07-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

This what I use to store poles. When I'm done, I take the rods out and lay them on the floor. Cover fits fine with it.. \

Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Thanks, thats a lot to take into consideration.
    2014 Lowe SS23O RFL
    Northern Indiana
    Near Lake Michigan

Profile taken on Lake Michigan

+ Reply to Thread