Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: i have a new idea

thumbs up i have a new idea

i have posted many times about changing everything about my 24 ft playcraft ,but havent done anything yet. now i have a new idea i will probably follow thru with , and would like some ideas to form my new plan .

the boat has a back platform which i want to do a way with .

the idea is now to create a small house boat so to speak . the inclosed part will be in the middle with fishing in the front and back 4 feet each leaving me 16 foot in the middle .

i also plan to make the middle part something i can set up quickly because i will still trailer the boat and keep it at home .i have some ideas on how to make it all happen ,but welcome any ideas from yall here who may have already done this kind of project.
    94 sea nymph deck boat with a 120 Johnson

86 playcraft pontoon boat with a 50 classic merc

Just a quick thought as I don't have much time right now. Got to go sing for a group in NC shortly. Consider putting the walls on hinges and the roof with light weight pole supports and covered with canvas?
    2012 Berkshire 230 CL LTD w/Tap Fins
    2012 90 HP Mercury on 6" Z-Lock Jack Plate and Stingray Stabilizer Fin
    2013 Load Rite Elite Trailer
    Located in beautiful Sunny, Central Virginia

Have never done it and just thinking out loud, but I wonder about getting a smaller old "pop up" travel trailer and somehow using it for your enclosure. It would allow you to raise the roof for boating and lower it for trailering. Surely there are old pop-ups out there in need of a new home that you could use for the bones of your project. Just a thought.

If not that, what about one of those "easy up" canopies that eveyone seems to sell these days. I think you can buy sides, screen enclosures, etc. for them as well. That way, you could leave your helm in place but quickly build your house part around it when you want it, and pull it down and store it when not.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress...
    Rick
    2010 Premier SunSation LTD 225
    PTX performance package (triple log)
    220hp 4.3L mpi Merc
    Beautiful southwestern Ohio

A 16' cabin is pretty big. And 4' front & back isn't much room. My cabin's 12' & it contains a shower/lav, sink, stove, fridge, some counter space, 5 cabinets, sofa, etc. An 10' cabin should still be plenty large. I'd position the cabin towards the rear, but with room to fish, maybe 6' in back. Positioning the cabin aft will keep the nose up, which will come in handy breaking wakes/waves. A live well or two is necessary for fishing.

Adding a lavatory & sink is a must. Women & kids need that amenity, especially when you're out for the day.

Just my DAO.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

i like the sound of what you have . do you by any chance have any pics you could share ? i may have been thinking to small for the fishing areas , those measurements came from the front of the boat which is now only 4 foot , and i was just thinking of duplicating that in the back

but if i follow thru with adding a 3rd log i shouldnt have to worry to much about the added weight up top the trick will be making it all happen with a pop up setup , and still being able to have the added features you mentioned ,

thinking it thru , wanting to be able to setup by myself , or no more than 2 people and tricked out to only take about 10,15 mins. the cabin part does not have to collapse completely . should i go with some of the options you mentioned the closed up section will be determined by counter height sink , etc ,

this may take a while but sounds like a fun project, lol hope it turns out like some of my ideas i am getting

Just remember what ever goes up , will catch wind.
    Height equals trouble with a pontoon.
    With the invention of internet everyone should know what your facing for the day with weather but
    its those quick storms with strong fronts that could spell trouble with a solid platform built on two pontoons.
    Build safe and stay safe.

A couple of options to consider...find an old hi-lo style camper that is gutted, these are similar to the pop up style campers but have hard sides. For something a little simpler get a hard top that can fold down or be lowered some other way and add heavy canvas sides that can be zippered together when down, then rolled up into the hard top when towing or not in use.
    Randy

2003 Bennington 207FS 2003 60 HP Mercury Bigfoot 4S
    Tooning on Caesars Creek Lake in Beautiful Southwestern OH
    If you're not having fun...You're not trying hard enough!

you and i are on the same page sir with the second opt you mentioned

The wind issue with a cabin on a pontoon boat is something to consider. My boat's not supposed to be out in wind over 15 mph, but I feel comfortable up to about 20 mph. At cruise, wind isn't really an issue, but when maneuvering in tight areas it certainly is. Just a 7 mph cross wind can make things tricky when going slow, especially around other boats.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

This sounds like a fun project! Follow your dreams!

You might be able to make a hardtop with canvas sides as Randy suggested. Think about having it fit tightly to your side rails when down. I like the idea of using the telescopic lifts from an old pop-up camper.

I had worked on this concept for a long time while designing my boat. Never quite came up with the perfect solution. I even designed a set of lifts that would have been driven via an electric winch & pulleys.

Keep us informed of your ideas.

GOOD LUCK!
    Dan & Denise, Preston CT

2009 22 1/2' Hand-Crafted Tri-Hull Wooden Pontoon
    "All Spruced Up"

1985 90 HP Evinrude 2-Stroke
    2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab
    2005 Boat Wheels Aluminum Trailer

+ Reply to Thread