Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice on new boat purchase

Mark649 Guest

Default Newbie needs advice on new boat purchase

This will be my first pontoon boat purchase coming from a performance boat that would do approx. 65

Considering a Bennington 2575qcw with a 350. Any suggestions other than Bennington that I might want to compare and or consider
    Many thanks
    Mark

Welcome Mark. I would look into the Manitou and Playcraft models. Both have high performance set ups. But the Bennington is a fine Pontoon for sure...
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Welcome Mark. I'm partial to Bennington and their plushness and performance. Manitou will out turn by a little bit. Take them both for a ride. Where are you located?
    Carl & Suzi
    Denver,NC
    2007 Bennington 2275rl tri-toon
    150 Honda 15x15p Enertia
    Power assisted steering
    Beautiful Lake Norman
    Pleiku Vietnam 1971
    Agent Orange

The three already mentioned are probably some of your best choices for high performance pontoons. Playcraft seems to always be at the front for speed with Manitou right behind (but both are often a little too flashy for my taste). Bennington has comfort and performance.

You might check out Premier's PTX package as well. We have one of these and are very fond of it.

http://www.pontoons.com/options/ptx-performance/

Good luck and good shopping. Let us know what you ultimately decide, and what the determining factors were for going with that one.

Oh, yeah... and pictures. We love pictures.
    Last edited by stickman; 10-28-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Rick
    2010 Premier SunSation LTD 225
    PTX performance package (triple log)
    220hp 4.3L mpi Merc
    Beautiful southwestern Ohio

Welcome to the forum, Mark. Good luck with your decision.
    2012 Berkshire 230 CL LTD w/Tap Fins
    2012 90 HP Mercury on 6" Z-Lock Jack Plate and Stingray Stabilizer Fin
    2013 Load Rite Elite Trailer
    Located in beautiful Sunny, Central Virginia

Sounds like you have the need for speed, and pontoons aren't what they used to be. Good luck with your choice.
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

I too come from a performance World and Just purchased a new Avalon, check them out

guess it depends on your budget, if money is of no concern the three mentioned above all do very well, and are well appointed and perform very well as well. if money is of concern might I suggest a lowe boat, the quality is fantastic and there upper end models perform just as well as those bigger name brands, but wont break your bank. either way you go, congrats on joining the pontoon world, I switched over back in 09' from a ski boat, I just found the best times were had when we were stopped and everyone was swimming and listening to tunes and drinking beer, and there is just so much more room on a pontoon.
    2013 LOWE SS210 with a 115 mercury four stroke and a double Bimini top
    Collinsville, ok love oolagah lake and Skiatook lake and reallllly love lake tenkiller all in OK

Welcome to the forum and welcome to 'toons in particular. Many of us had or have V bottoms and love the ride and speed. When you compare the deep V's to the pontoons, you need to readjust your priorities a bit. If speed and handling is the priority then only the triple tubes are going to satisfy that hunger. The Benningtons, Manitous, Avalons and Harris boats are certainly tops in their respective arenas. However, don't overlook many of the lesser known brands as they offer much in the way of creative center tubes with lifting strakes, flat surfaces, and other performance tools to get your Triple Tube Patio "up on the water" so to speak. Many handle well in the turns, (still hard to match a 24 degree deadrise V Hull for the sharp handling etc.) and will give you more in the fun / cruising / lounging that most of the "converted" boaters find so interesting about these barges. After numerous runabouts and center consoles we've moved to pontoons with a Lowe, then Playcraft, - and now a Summit, (of the Cypress Cay past) and the difference from the first 2 twins to a triple is very noticeable. How you use it and what you expect from it can only be determined after looking at many, driving as many as possible and asking bunches of questions of other converts from the V to the 'toon. Good luck on the decision and post pictures when available.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Also be sure to check out JC Mfg. High quality, with great interiors!

+ Reply to Thread