Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boat Insurance

Default Boat Insurance

With a new pontoon boat on the way, I thought I would ask if there are recommendations on boat insurance companies who have low prices. I have used USAA and AllState, but they charge as if we are driving an automobile. Are there better options?

Try Boat US.
    Carl & Suzi
    Denver,NC
    2007 Bennington 2275rl tri-toon
    150 Honda 15x15p Enertia
    Power assisted steering
    Beautiful Lake Norman
    Pleiku Vietnam 1971
    Agent Orange

I use progressive. Seemed to be the best rate for the coverage. Shop around and make sure what they will and will not cover. Some also vary on where you store our boat. Such as in a slip or dry docked or in secured storage..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

My husband contacted Progressive and just wanted a price quote and they wanted his social security number. He said that was going to far and said forget it.

Yep, I agree. Call Boat US They have a lot of plans to choose.
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

I have cars, home, boats, quads, rented garage, everything in one office with one agent and company, Nationwide. It might not be the least expensive way to shop for or buy insurance, but it works for me. I am friends with my agent and like the fact that he is acting as a go between with the company and I. If I have a question I call a local office and talk to someone who knows my name, and history. He has saved me money many times by rerouting my thinking and guiding me through interactions with the company

I think in this day and age any insurance quote comes with a credit check. I know this is the case in the Nationwide office.

Make sure you know what is covered and what isn't. Installed relectronic devices may be part of the craft, ones in a bracket with knobs may not. Anything you carry on the boat is probably not covered unless you have coverage for it. All of that stuff may be covered on you homeowners however, so you don't need that extra coverage. A good local agent can go over all of this with you and if he is real good he can show you all your options without putting a lot of pressure on you to buy coverage you don't want or need.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post

Make sure you know what is covered and what isn't. Installed relectronic devices may be part of the craft, ones in a bracket with knobs may not. Anything you carry on the boat is probably not covered unless you have coverage for it. All of that stuff may be covered on you homeowners however, so you don't need that extra coverage. A good local agent can go over all of this with you and if he is real good he can show you all your options without putting a lot of pressure on you to buy coverage you don't want or need.
    Could you be more specific? Are you referring to damage or theft of the bimini, fishfinder, seats etc.? That stuff costs less than the deductible if you're speaking about those type of things, but still are costly when adding everything up.

Those are all things that you have to get answers from your provider on, the answers will be different for each boat and policy. Damage is one kind of claim, theft is another. That's why I like having a local agent right here in town to explain it all to me.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

We also have Progressive...
    We haven't had any claims with them on the boat, but the price seems to be good.
    Randy

2003 Bennington 207FS 2003 60 HP Mercury Bigfoot 4S
    Tooning on Caesars Creek Lake in Beautiful Southwestern OH
    If you're not having fun...You're not trying hard enough!

We use progressive as well. They do use your credit to determine your rate (to some extent) so that is probably where the ssn # request comes from. I'd be surprised if other insurance companies didn't require it also. Each year the price comes down a little which is kinda nice.
    2006 Bentley 240 Cruise, Mercury 115 4S

+ Reply to Thread