Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newb here, wife just approved my purchase of a pontoon boat.. Need guidance.

Default Newb here, wife just approved my purchase of a pontoon boat.. Need guidance.

I am looking at either a Crest 200 I 2015 model with a 60 hp Suzuki motor, an Avalon 21 ft GS with a 60 hp Evinrude or a slightly used Sweet Water 2086 with a 70 yamaha all 2015 models

I need feedback on the motors and if they alone should be a deciding factor on selection?
    These boats will all be about $400 of each other with a trailer.
    I am in FL and plan to store it in freshwater on a lake and trailer it weekends to the intercostal.

Thoughts?

Each has the salt water package and 25" logs with comparable amenities except the Sweetwater is previously titled and 4 months old.

I can use any guidance. This is my first pontoon buy on a limited budget and yet this will be my retirement boat for fishing, cruising and letting the family boat weekends together.We have access to jet skis and a ski/bass boat and a flats boat so pulling a skier is not a factor.

It seems the articles I read indicate the Evinrude is cheaper on maintenance and fuel but it is not a 4 stroke; Yamaha is better for resale but I hope not to need to sell it anytime and has the balance of a 3yr warranty; Suzuki I am told is quieter and more fuel efficient for a 4strokesome say it is as good as or better than a Yamaha without the price or name recognition.

Reliability is key and I dont want to be stranded..... All the boats seem to have comparable warranties but is there a key deciding factor to consider?

in advance thanks

I have succumb to paralysis by analysis and cant decide.

First welcome to the forum and to pontoon boating.

I'm not going to help you much I'm afraid, but I think your motors are all about the same as far as reliability is concerned, there is nothing at all wrong with the Etec 60, I would love to have one hanging on my boat.

I have always been a fan of Crest Pontoons, but I haven't looked at new ones in a few years so I can't say much about any of the ones you mentioned.

The 70 Yammy power plant may have a tiny edge with the 4 stroke and extra 10 HP. There are many forum members running 4 strokes and doing there own maintenance, I don't think there is a lot more to it than there is to taking care of a garden tractor or 4 wheeler.

Which ever rig you choose, choose it and don't look back. Be happy with what you get, forget about the others and get busy enjoying the pontoon lifestyle.

Once again, welcome to our forum.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

well things changed the sales service staff wasnt really impressing me much at the other place, so I went down the road to a more attentive father son operation and....

Cool Just put deposit on a new pontoon.... need feedback
    I pulled the trigger after 8 months of searching and research.

I am getting a 21ft Avalon Gs Cruise with engine upgraded from a 60 to a 90hp evinrude along with the prop that gives better torque (pontoon prop it says) from evinrude and a tandem axle trailer.

The boat comes with:
    full vinyl flooring
    table
    individual seat covers
    saltwater upgrade anodes
    platinum package upgrade (25" pontoons)
    depth finder
    changing room
    35 gal fuel tank
    LED running and dock lights
    radio
    10' bimini top
    heavy duty aluminum ladder off the back

etc

plan to keep her in a fresh water late and trailer her to the coast once or twice a month to the river/intercoastal waters

Any words of wisdom for when I take delivery in a week?

If you are not completely comfortable towing, launching, operating and recovering the boat make sure the dealer goes along to walk you through all of those things. I would want them to accompany me on the shakedown cruise anyway just in case something pops up. If you haven't discussed this with them don't be surprised if they say that is not part of the service.

That sounds like a very nice boat with adequate power, I hope you enjoy it for many years.

http://waypointmarinegroup.com/new-b...lon-gs-cruise/
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Get it on the water with the dealer and have them show you everything about it, make sure everything works as it should.
    Get all the freebies you can.
    Sounds like a nice set up...enjoy.
    Randy

2003 Bennington 207FS 2003 60 HP Mercury Bigfoot 4S
    Tooning on Caesars Creek Lake in Beautiful Southwestern OH
    If you're not having fun...You're not trying hard enough!

thanks everyone, one week and counting. I am excited and plan to heed all your advice.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new pontoon. Sounds like a winner to me!!!
    2012 Berkshire 230 CL LTD w/Tap Fins
    2012 90 HP Mercury on 6" Z-Lock Jack Plate and Stingray Stabilizer Fin
    2013 Load Rite Elite Trailer
    Located in beautiful Sunny, Central Virginia

Welcome aboard
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

Ahem... seems everyone above is forgetting something.

PICTURES! We need pictures. Well, technically we don't need pictures, but we love pictures.

Congrats on the new boat. Get her wet and enjoy!
    Rick
    2010 Premier SunSation LTD 225
    PTX performance package (triple log)
    220hp 4.3L mpi Merc
    Beautiful southwestern Ohio

stickman nailed it! We'd love to get a pic of you with your new toon for the forum section of PDB magazine! Could you email a picture to austa@harrispublishing.com as soon as you can? Congrats and thanks everyone for such top-notch advice!!

+ Reply to Thread