Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trolling motors

OKtoon Guest

Default Trolling motors

How much trolling motor thrust is advised for a 20 foot pontoon? The Minkota site says 50 pounds would be adequate. Anyone have experience?

I've had Minnkota and Motorguide 55 pound motors on 19 and 20 foot pontoons and find them quite adequate. I've used as small as a 32 and as big as a 70 lb. the 50 pound range is a good happy medium.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish
    1990 Mercury 50 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 70 HP Johnson

Raystown Country, PA

I was going to transfer my old stern mount trolling motor to the bow of my pontoon but I'm now thinking that a bow mount designed specifically for pontoon use with an electric control so that I can operate it from the helm or from the bow would be handy.

Any comments on how well the electric remote controls work?
    Carguy Bill

2016 Sweetwater Bow Fish - 70 HP Yamaha
    Hydraulic Pontoon Legs
    Home: Coshocton, OH
    Summer boating: Cold Stream Pond, Enfield ME

I want to add to my own question that I asked a couple of years ago.

I ended up buying a bow mount trolling motor 12 volt with 55# thrust and the i-Pilot control. More money than I was prepared to spend but now that I have it I can see that I would have disappointed if I had purchased a lesser model. For a pontoon boat I feel that the bow mount is a must - you want to pull rather than push for best control. Th features that come with the I-Pilot are great for fishing. You can create and save tracks that are great for trolling your favorite trolling routes, you can set a straight line track and the motor will hold that course, and I find the Stop Lock feature invaluable. with Stop Lock you can tell the trolling motor to hold a position and your boat will, through GPS positioning, hold that position until you release it. Here in Maine the shore lines are usually lined with large rocks and it so nice to be able to fish without worrying about the boat drifting off into the rocks. And all of this control is done with a remote which is great when you are sitting in the bow mounted fishing seats.

The brand I bought is Minn Kota but there are other manufacturers that offer trolling motors with these features as well.
    Carguy Bill

2016 Sweetwater Bow Fish - 70 HP Yamaha
    Hydraulic Pontoon Legs
    Home: Coshocton, OH
    Summer boating: Cold Stream Pond, Enfield ME

I have a 72 lb. 24 volt iPilot V2 Powerdrive on my Sea Nymph, I've loved the Minnkota Powerdrives since the first days. The autopilot feature was a tremendous innovation for Striper fishermen, and the evolution to the current model is setting the industry standard. I too like the spotlock and the cruise control, and the ability to memorize a route and troll back up it or repeat it. The ability for the trolling motor to interact with the Humminbird fish finders, is going to change things a lot too. I have a good 929HDSI Humminbird, but it's not smart enough to talk to the trolling motor, you need the next generation to do that.

I don't love the lack of backlighting in the remote. I fish at night a lot and it is tough to hit the right button every time in the dark. The first time you tap that "jackrabbit" button by mistake is an eye opening experience for every one aboard. I also don't care for the fact that to get the iPilot on the Powerdrive you have to give up the foot pedal, you can only use the remote to control it. I did not have to do that but to keep the foot control meant to go to the next model up the chain and spend a few hundred $$ more.

Overall I'm tickled with it, the ability to set up over a school of Crappies or White Perch or just off a point to throw plugs at it, and tap that spotlock button and stay right there is a great tool to have available.

Carguy, I have had these V2's on a pontoon before, do you know you can leave it deployed and slide it all the way up in the deployed position and it will lock into the stowing clip and stay there? You do not have to lay it back, which keeps it from tripping everyone who walks by it. Be careful with the controller then though, because it will answer commands from the controller in that position, and any auto steering function that is on (auto pilot, course following, left right commands from the controller) will result in the servo turning and attempting to turn the motor. The propeller will also start in that position if you tell it to. I usually unplug mine if I stow it like that.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish
    1990 Mercury 50 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 70 HP Johnson

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread