Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tap Fin Performance update

Default Tap Fin Performance update

Well I finally got my boat into the water this past Saturday for the first time this year. As I mentioned on another thread, I was anxious to see how the Tap Fins that I had installed at the end of last year were going to affect my boat's performance. I'm still not 100% sure on the speed, but it looks like the speed is not going to be much, if any different. However, the ride is very good. WE went out in a 15-20 mph constant wind which prevailed all day so I never got any calm conditions to compare pre-Tap Fin speeds. What was interesting is that I was able to run 24 mph at any time in those conditions and with the wind and white capping waves, I never once got any spray in my face. The fins knocked it down and made for a completely dry ride. My wife asked if I was happy with my decision to have the fins installed. I told her it didn't matter because I couldn't take them off like I did the Waterglide. But yes, I am pleased with them and I'm looking forward to more testing. I think they will really make a difference with 4-6 people aboard as I think they will help keep the front of the pontoons from plowing. Time and experience will tell. Wish me luck!!!
    2012 Berkshire 230 CL LTD w/Tap Fins
    2012 90 HP Mercury on 6" Z-Lock Jack Plate and Stingray Stabilizer Fin
    2013 Load Rite Elite Trailer
    Located in beautiful Sunny, Central Virginia

Sounds good Danny. And..........glad you're feeling better.
    Carl & Suzi
    Denver,NC
    2007 Bennington 2275rl tri-toon
    150 Honda 15x15p Enertia
    Power assisted steering
    Beautiful Lake Norman
    Pleiku Vietnam 1971
    Agent Orange

drive2boat,

I own a 2013 22' Sylvan Mirage with a 115 Evinrude E-Tec and had TAP fins installed when the boat was new. I had a similar experience to yours which meant a much improved, drier ride with the ability to carry a heavier load more efficiently. I did not notice an increase in speed but the improved ride quality was a major plus because I live on a large inland lake which is notorious for huge cruiser wakes and wind driven chop during the summer months. I do feel that the TAP fins were a good investment and recommend them to other pontoon owners as well.

Regards.

Tooned IN

To further expound on the benefits of the Tap Fins. Last weekend when we were anchored, and just from the front, it appeared that when the boat got sideways to some ski boats going by that it did not rock as much. And I floated under the boat, I noticed that there was still spring time pollen on the top side of the fins and the top half of the pontoons. Obviously, no water spray is getting above the fins. Quite impressive.

Are you guys boats also underskinned?
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Mine is, but quite frankly, I'm not really sure what the advantage is when you have Tap Fins as nothing hits the bottom of the boat anyway! Maybe, no definitely adds some rigidity. Also adds some weight. I'm not considering unskinning it though. However, there is probably about a 2-3 section up front that is not covered and I was planning to cover it before I had the fins installed. I notice that it now does not get wet, so I may leave it alone.

Rick,

I ordered my boat underskinned from the factory before I made my decision to buy TAP fins. I'm not sure that the underskinning is needed if you order the TAP fins for the inside of the logs. I did order the TAP fins for both the inside and outside of the logs as well.

Regards,

Tooned In

Thanks for the info Tooned. The tap fins may or may not benefit from under-skinning, but I think it's a good idea either way. Bound to get some splash on the underdeck in rough water with or without them, especially on a 2 log toon. I would be surprised if no water at all reached the decking, at least where I boat. Some water has to make it's way between the logs when you're dealing with 2 or 3 foot rollers on a regular basis during the summer months. But I'm sure the Tap Fins would knock down a good portion of it..
    Rick

Rick
    That about sums it up , I see that on the web site they added a video
    www.conradmarine.com

Funtooner.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

This looks like the video that they (Malcolm) added to the website.

Tap Fin video
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread