Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting a down-rigger

Default Mounting a down-rigger

Fishing on our lake requires a down-rigger. On my current boat, a Boston Whaler, I have the down-rigger bolted to the gunnel but I'm concerned about how/where to mount a down-rigger on my next boat which will be a pontoon. It seems to me that mounting it to the deck would be too low for easy access and I'm afraid that mounting it to the railing would not be secure enough.

Sorry about the double post. I didn't think this one got through. Bill
    Last edited by carguy; 03-18-2016 at 04:50 PM.

I would use one of the aluminum rail mounting systems, but I have seen them on a 2x6 running across the stern attached to the railing with ubolts. It can be simple and cheap or fancy and expensive.

Something like this out of a box, or homemade.

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/t...olling_bar.htm
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I am new to board so probably did not do pic right. If anyone wants to see it you can email me. I took a 4" x 4" x 8 cedar post and cut it to desired length. I used 3 bolts 3 nuts 6 washers 4 3" screws. I used a drill with extra long bit and drilled 3 holes through the wood and the aluminum rails. One at bottom, one in the middle, one at top. I used the four screws to secure the downrigger plate to the top of post. Post must be cut level. I put two of them in front and it cost me less than $40 and took me 30 minutes to do. It might be a little redneck for some but it works great. I put a chain on it for more security.

+ Reply to Thread