Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving a transom mounted trolling motior to bow mount

Default Moving a transom mounted trolling motior to bow mount

I would like to move my transom mounted Minn Kota trolling motor from the transom on my Boston Whaler to the bow on my pontoon boat.

Does anyone have experience in converting from a transom vertical mount to a horizontal bow mount?

Carguy Bill

Hey Bill:
    Well a few things come to mind. First can you mention the model of the troller; and was it designed to be a "pusher" for the Whaler. If so, you may find that it's rotational spin may not be correct for "pulling" when on the bow of the pontoon - (or the bow of the whaler for that matter) so you have some re-engineering to do. If it is possible to turn the housing around 180 degrees it may work and the only issue will be the wiring/cable that goes into the handle - it now might be in front of the handle and could possibly be too short to do that. Secondly, if you have to mount it in the same orientation, (front to back) but on the wrong end of the boat then you will have to get it spinning in what should be the reverse direction. No problem you say, I'll just switch the positive & negative cables and it should go the other way !! Ha, what about the pitch of the prop when going 3 or variable speeds in reverse? These are just a few thoughts. Let me know how you find the solution to these issues. Not all may work and not all may be a problem.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

You pull the screw on the handle and spin it around 180 to go from push to pull. I have made a few mini transoms with a piece of 4x4x1/4 aluminum angle and a short length of of 2x6 board. The board bolts to the angle and the angle is bolted to the boat deck with the board in the vertical, the transom mount motor is mounted on the board and you are in business.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Thanks guys, Cptn Tony is a Traxxis 55 and Minn Kota told me that I could easily rotate the handle. Thanks Moser, the mini transom sounds like a good idea and easy to do. If I don't sell my Traxxis with my Whaler I think this is exactly what I will do.

Bill
    Carguy Bill

2016 Sweetwater Bow Fish - 70 HP Yamaha
    Hydraulic Pontoon Legs
    Home: Coshocton, OH
    Summer boating: Cold Stream Pond, Enfield ME

Sweet: Sounds like a plan. Remember, we need pictures of the new Sweetwater when it arrives.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread