Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought a 115 Ficht, now what

Default Bought a 115 Ficht, now what

PDB Forum, here is a copy of a post I put up in another forum, asking for information on a 115 Ficht Evinrude I have picked up. I will probably not keep this motor, but I would like to be able to give potential buyers a few pointers on how to keep it running (and why there is no reason to be afraid of it). I'm putting it up here because I know there are guys here with a variety of boating experiences and someone knows something about these motors that will help me.

The other post:

So, right or wrong, I have bought a well running 2000 115 Ficht Evinrude. It has been run on Evinrude oil only, and plugs changed regularly. I know very little on the history of these motors except that they were supposed to be the reason for the downfall of OMC. I heard something about software upgrades from OMC/BRP to keep these engines from doing whatever they do to fail. The owner, who bought it new, says there were never any upgrades done to this one.

My question to the forum is this, is there anything I can do to keep this motor from having the injector issues that they are known for, I'd like to use it for a few more years.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I'll follow up a little here, the responses to the other post, and what I could find elsewhere online, have pretty much unanimously been that the V4 versions of these motors are not prone to the failures that haunted the large displacement models. One of the responses said the Etec versions are basically the same on smaller motors as the RAM Ficht, one of them called the 115 bulletproof.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    one of them called the 115 bulletproof.
    And you're not gonna keep it?
    Carl & Suzi
    Denver,NC
    2007 Bennington 2275rl tri-toon
    150 Honda 15x15p Enertia
    Power assisted steering
    Beautiful Lake Norman
    Pleiku Vietnam 1971
    Agent Orange

I've been flipping them all year Carl, buying cheap, doing a little fixing up and selling them off. I like the Merc 50 on the pontoon and the Johnson 70 on my fishing boat is tried and true. I'm in this to make a few bucks.

The guy who had it got it new and is in a family camp up in Quebec. They had a highway accident with a big 2050 Crestliner they have and totalled the boat, but kept the 150 that was on it. They always thought the 115 was too little power for the 1850 it was on, so they swapped out the 150 for the 115. They never had any trouble with it, just wanted to take advantage of the suddenly available 150. He had it on a local website with a make an offer price, and called me because I have an ad on to buy outboards. I made him an offer I though he would turn down and he took it, so now it's mine. i already had a Johnson 88 SPL here that I was getting ready to sell and didn't really want another one right now, but he accepted the dirt cheap offer so I had to get it. With this one I will probably just take a few pictures and ebay it as a drop in runner.

I'd like to keep it but I don't know what I'd do with it. The pontoon did not get along well with the 90 I put on it a few years ago. Once it got to about 30 MPH the logs got up on top of the water and pulled the prop out, try as I did I could not get ti to run right and the only options I could see were cut the transom to get it deeper in the water or take it back off. I pulled the 90 off and sold it to buy the Sea Nymph to fish from. I'm a happy boater right now with things as they are.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I wouldn't be afraid of that motor at all. It's run well for 15-16 years and if it was going to have major problems, they would have shown up long ago. And like you mentioned, it was the larger HP motors that were a problem anyway. About the only thing I would do is have the injectors serviced just for good measure. I'd do that on any used 2 stroke I'd buy though.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

I agree completely Rick, if it were staying here I'd do an injection cleaning, decarb by factory recomendations and generally change all the questionable things, impeller, maybe rebuild lift pumps.

Hopefully it won't be here long. It's going on ebay in the morning. It's huge, I can't imagine what Malcolm's 200HO is like to handle. I have a cherry picker and overhead hoist and I don't want to move the !@#$$% thing.

I may put it on a stand and clean it up some, take the cover off to get some inside pics.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Keep it up right , save you some oil leaks.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

To wind this tale up, I paid $600 for this thing, picked it up in about 4 hours, using $50 in gas. I put about 2 hours into cleaning it up, taking pics and putting it on ebay. It sold for $1625. I spent another 2 hours packing it and running it in to Old Dominion freight lines for the trip to SC. ebay got $162, paypal got $17, so I'm in the motor about $825 and maybe 10 hours of my time, to clear $800 on it. Too bad one of these doesn't pop up every week.

I messaged the guy who got it to see how it worked, but I got no reply. He had one exactly like it with a blown powerhead, and was just going to swap them out. I'll give him a week and try again. He may not be checking his ebay messages, this was his first ebay transaction.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread