Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water in oil mystery

Also, I doubt there would be any problem with the motor if it's taken care of promptly (meaning the oil was changed right away and the motor was run afterward to get the new lube circulating. The system is essentially closed and I doubt any rusting or pitting took place. Although I've never heard of water and oil overflowing out the dipstick hole, I have read many reports of water and/or fuel in the oil. Most times it's not an issue and is not confined to Mercury motors alone. Yamaha's are notorious for this too. I've been fortunate that I never experienced this on my Merc, but I almost always run it full out for at least some of the time when we're out each time.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Sorry to hear about the cancer coming back and the chemo kicking your butt. I just got done with cancer in my right ear (3 surgeries) and for now it's gone. I haven't had to deal with chemo. I'll keep you in my prayers Danny.
    Carl & Suzi
    Denver,NC
    2007 Bennington 2275rl tri-toon
    150 Honda 15x15p Enertia
    Power assisted steering
    Beautiful Lake Norman
    Pleiku Vietnam 1971
    Agent Orange

Sorry to hear about your cancer relapsing, you have my sympathies.

Running an engine with lots of water in the oil is never good. However, it wasn't like you had it under a hard load & it wasn't for very long so it's likely OK. A way to check for excessive bearing wear would be to cut the oil filter open & look for metal shavings. But as this engine only has 80 hours on it, some metal shavings are to be expected anyway. Generally cam & crank bearings are plain (smooth) & made out of babbitt. Babbitt is non-ferrous & won't be picked up by a magnet. A compression test will give you an idea if the cylinder walls got scored, then again so will excessive oil consumption. No easy way to tell if the bearings only overheated, but since it didn't lock up or spin a bearing (a nasty grinding noise from deep in the engine) chances are it's good. The crank & cam shaft journals are hardened so they're fine. Just run it & see how it acts.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Dam Danny,
    So sorry to hear this.
    Any thing we can do let us know.
    Love Malcolm
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Thanks to all for your kind words and thoughts concerning my health issue. I would covet your prayers as I think I need a miracle to be well again as the medical profession is about out of treatment options and none of them offer a cure. But, I believe in miracles! And I don't care whose request it is that that God decides to answer. But please don't be sad for me as I know where my eternity will be spent and if I leave this world tomorrow, which isn't expected by the way (but you just never know), I have enjoyed one heck of a good and blessed life to this point. And, with the Lord's help, I will enjoy quite a few more years.

And I have decided "NOT" to sell my boat but rather use and enjoy it as long as I can crawl aboard!!!
    2012 Berkshire 230 CL LTD w/Tap Fins
    2012 90 HP Mercury on 6" Z-Lock Jack Plate and Stingray Stabilizer Fin
    2013 Load Rite Elite Trailer
    Located in beautiful Sunny, Central Virginia

That's the spirit
    go for it
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

+ Reply to Thread