Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting GPS/Depth Finder on Console

Default Mounting GPS/Depth Finder on Console

Hello all. I'm new to the forum (1st time poster) but have been a subscriber of PDB magazine for several years. I love my toons!

We recently purchased a new Bennington (2017 SL20) and did not want to pay for their depth finder when there are better, cheaper after market options that include GPS. I'm considering the Garmin Striker 4 but am very apprehensive about attaching it to my brand new dash.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dash..jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1368
    Our main use of the depth finders in the past is for water temperature & depth readings (not so much for fishing). GPS is a new bonus! I've read on this forum about a RAM Universal Electronics mount and am curious if anyone has experience with it? I want to be able to put on my boat cover after each use and don't want the location of the GPS unit to be in the way.

Thanks in advance for all your expertise!!

Josh

I have had my RAM mount on a rail mounted ball on my prior pontoon. There is a mount made specifically for the square 1" railing. I kept a loop knitted, door mat sized rug on the deck for wet dirty feet, I would shake it out (rinse it out if needed) and fold it in half, then lay it over the mount base when I put the cover on. It let the rug dry and protected the cover from the mount. If you mounted the ball to the interior you could leave the unit on, cover it with a dry folded towel to protect the cover and be fine.

I have the same mount on my Sea Nymph now, I will crawl in there and take a picture when the snow stops.

I particularly like the RAM mounts for there adjustability and the fact that they come off the rail quickly so you can stow the unit. I stowed mine before putting the cover on.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Since the Graph is not in the boat I threw it up on the side of a toolbox to show how the mount looks. The only thing missing is a 1 inch ball that mounts in a variety of ways using many different configurations of mounts, available from RAM. They range from deck mounted to various types of clamps, right now I am using a 2 inch diameter base deck mount with 4 holes in it. I have it on the rear casting deck to display the graph while facing the rear while trolling. I have a Humminbird 979 on a similar mount on the console.

These are available in mini, I think 3/4 inch balls, for lighter units and a shorty version of this 1 inch setup.

This unit comes off the base in seconds, unplug a couple wires and the FF/GPS Combo is ready to be safely stowed away, out of sight and not interfering with the cover at all. All that remains is the 1 inch ball on the base.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Here is the base I have now, but they come in a variety of configurations, including one for the pontoon rail.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Here is the one I have and a link to dozens more. They make one for a square rail, I just didn't find it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_155y7z7olz_b

Here is an interesting mount that would let you take everything off the rail, but it looks a bit bulky.

https://www.denniskirk.com/ram-mount...rd/5900692.sku
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    Here is the one I have and a link to dozens more. They make one for a square rail, I just didn't find it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_155y7z7olz_b

Here is an interesting mount that would let you take everything off the rail, but it looks a bit bulky.

https://www.denniskirk.com/ram-mount...rd/5900692.sku
    Yeah, that clamp one is what I've had my eye on. And the suction cup version, but not confident it would stay in place. Appreciate your thoughts and photos, Moser!
    2017 Bennington SL20 (current)
    1996 Sylvan 820 (previous)

+ Reply to Thread