Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Boats out of Hibernation

Default Getting Boats out of Hibernation

Does anyone have any good tips for getting your boat out of hibernation? Any horror stories you want to share?

I got one, but it's embarrassing. At the beginning of every year my engine won't start without a shot of starting fluid. Pump the ball all day long, crank the starter for hours, it won't start. But 1 little shot of starting fluid in the intake plenum & the engine is running & good to go all year. 3 years ago I got lazy. Removing the upper engine cowling is a P.I.A. & takes 2 people. But opening the oil fill door almost gives access to the intake plenum. You can prolly see where this is going. I figured a good shot of starting fluid in the vicinity of the intake ports would save me from removing the cowling. That didn't work out as planned. All the electrical stuff was on the other side of the engine, yet something must have sparked & found the starting fluid before it could be drawn into the intake.

The oil door immediately departed, leaving no forwarding address. The fun part came when the cowling's insulation, thoroughly permeated with 2 stroke oil, ignited. Fortunately, I had a fire extinguisher at the back of the boat & no real damage occurred, other than the top cowling doesn't seal as tight as it once did. Not only did I make an idiot move by being lazy, but I compounded this act with the equally stupid move of telling the internet how foolish I am. So, maybe let's just keep this among ourselves, okay?
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

I'm sure not going to tell anyone.

I'm sure glad I never did anything like that. Says the guy who has been in 40 degree water looking for a gate he just knocked off of his brand new boat.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

belercous, great story!
    I personally have never made a mistake in my life,
    but know a guy who "placed" his trailer onto the trailer ball,
    w/o locking it down and drove about 3 miles to the ramp.
    2000 Bennington 22

Boston, Ma
    Belmont, NH

This thread doesn't seem to be getting much business; so I guess there are not too many of us who think they might have made a mistake once.

I know of an interesting story about an experienced boater, (40+ years) who was selling a Playcraft twin 'toon back in 2013, in anticipation of looking for a replacement with triple 'toons.

After photos & phone calls, a very interested couple drove all the way from mid-Oklahoma to LOTO and the deal sounded promising.

After the meet & greet a test ride was in order and so the boat/trailer was hitched up and backed down the launch ramp into the lake.

After preliminary checks, jackets, fuel, extinguisher, keys etc. the boat was backed in, started and put in reverse. The water being lower that
    day it was difficult to get off the trailer. The boat was not fully floating so more reverse throttle seemed to be the answer.

No movement brought about more throttle and more until I, (he ) was certain the SUV would follow if the boat moved into the Lake.

That's when, (so I've heard) the check list may have gotten cut short. So the rig was pulled up on the ramp and sure enough,
    those dang rear tie down straps got overlooked. Boy, that aircraft quality nylon webbing and S/S hooks are hard to beat.

After much laughter and a great test ride the boat was sold and went to OKLAHOMA later that day.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I promise this was NOT ME!

I watched a guy back his boat into the water and attempt to back it off the trailer. I was in the water awaiting my turn to load my boat back onto my trailer. Frankly, I was a bit irritated because I thought it was RUDE of him to take up the only boat ramp in the area just to test-run his engine...after-all, that was surely his intention since there was NO PROPELLER on the shaft, it made sense he was only using the lake for cooling-water for an engine test-run.
    But he revved that engine what HAD to be beyond the RED-LINE-RPM and I thought he was going to
    BLOW IT UP!
    But eventually he pulled the trailer back up out of the water and found out that someone had STOLEN his prop and he’d not noticed. He was actually thinking he was going boating!

That's the nice thing living here in NC, I don't have to worry about.!!
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

There is another incident I know about where mistakes were made, but it wasn't about getting a boat out of storage. It might not be apropos to the thread, but I'll share it anyway & if the mods don't think it fits it can be deleted.

here's a guy (nationally semi-famous, so I won't name him) at my last marina (Piasa Harbor) who bought an older boat, a 9 ton cruiser. He also bought a "custom" (read "obviously home made") trailer to put the boat on. (The trailer is a 4 axle job, with a ball (not 5th wheel) hitch & has to weigh 3 tons itself. It took a 3/4 ton dualie, tied to a dump truck to pull the boat out of the water (steep ramp). The trailer's ball hitch socket didn't have a safety latch, & since they were only pulling it out of the water & not travelling with it, they didn't feel the need to attach the safety chains.

You might see where this is going. I wish I were there to watch & film it, but I wasn't. From what everyone said, once they pulled the boat about 90% up the ramp (a good 18 yards, maybe 20), the trailer's hitch popped up over the ball & the whole shebang went rolling back down to the water; hoot, scoot & boogity, all 11 tons gaining speed & momentum on its way back from whence it came. The boat was OK, but the trailer had ran off the end of the ramp & became mired in the mud, which required a bulldozer to extract it from the water. Eventually, they did get the boat out of the water.

It may not fit the original post, but it's an interesting anecdote nonetheless.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

+ Reply to Thread