Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plywood on Sundeck

Default Plywood on Sundeck

Hey guys, I have been a member here since May been reading a lot. I have completely restored our toon. I have noticed that the plywood on the sundeck at stern bows as the summer proceeds. My question is should I replace it with regular BC plywood that I would coat with sealer, or should I just bite the bullet and buy another sheet of marine grade ply?
    '85 Starcraft SD240
    1979 Johnson, 140 (Former)
    1998 Johnson 150 ELECD Carbureted (New to me)
    Completely Restored.
    New decking, carpet, seats, electrical, electric bimini top.
    Upgraded transom
    Added Cross members

Hi JEB:

Hard to tell what the issue is without a picture. In reading your signature description it states that you have new decking.
    Does that mean you used construction graded BC ply for the entire deck. If so, what is the thickness? 3/4" - 1" or ?

If builders grade BC was used how was it sealed? Is there a lot of water that sits on the sundeck from swimmers etc?
    Also does the stern sundeck have sufficient support & how close is the spacing? Is the plywood oriented fore & aft or side to side. (it makes a difference)

Can you give us a bit more detail re: the restoration and materials used please?

I'm going to assume this is a twin 'toon boat based on the year model. Finally, does the plywood straighten out when dry?
    And do you have any underskin of aluminum below the plywood deck?
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Thank you for the reply Tony. I am going to see if I can explain this without confusing everybody including myself.
    1. No, I used marine grade 3/4" plywood for the decking.
    2. The sundeck is 3 seperate pieces that cover 3 compartments. The port side covers the above deck fuel tank and oil/additives etc. The middle compartment covers the engine. The starboard covers the batteries, charger, and electronics.
    3. It looks to me like the previous owner changed the plywood on the starboard cover with CDX ply. Its orientation is fore/aft. The other two covers apear to be original and run side to side. The starboard one is the only one that bows. Therefore it is the only wood I am in need of changing, and I would hate to pay $95 for a 2x3 piece.
    4. The previous owner covered the pieces in regular commercial grade carpet. I am wanting to recover with vinyl and add some padding so that it is just a bit more comfortable.
    5. Yes there is plenty of support for the sundeck from the compartments that it is sitting on.
    6. Each compartment is approximately 31"×26".
    7. The sundeck does not normally get a lot of water.
    8. The plywood bows when it dries out. When it is moist it is as straight as an arrow.
    9. It is a twin tube boat, no it does not have undersinning. That is something else I want to do this year.
    I hope this sheds a little more light on what I am trying to do. If I have confused anyone please speak up and I will try again.
    '85 Starcraft SD240
    Completely Restored.
    Upgraded transom
    Added Cross members

BC plywood should work just fine.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Yep:
    I agree with belercous on the BC for that small of an area.

I think you answered you own question when I asked about the orientation of the ply.

If you replace it with a selected piece of BC 3/4" try to find one at the lumber store that has no knots, is straight grained and if possible see how many ply's it is made up of.
    (I know, never end a sentence with a preposition). Some "heart of grain" boards are stronger and 5 ply is stronger than 3 ply.

Also, obviously orient it side to side, it's stronger that way. Take the carpet off and avoid the "padding". It will just soak up & hold moisture.
    Even if it doesn't get wet from boaters/swimmers stepping up on it you are inherently in a moist-damp environment all the time.

P.S. If you have clearance you could put a stiffening board, (2x2) hard maple or close grained wood; glued & screwed to the underside center.
    Just a thought.

Good luck & let us know how it works out.
    Captain Tony

Yeah! I would recommend adding a stiffened if possible.

You could apply a couple of coats of spar varnish to seal the plywood.
    Dan & Denise, Preston CT

2009 22 1/2' Hand-Crafted Tri-Hull Wooden Pontoon
    "All Spruced Up"

1985 90 HP Evinrude 2-Stroke
    2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab
    2005 Boat Wheels Aluminum Trailer

Yea, I am going to add a stiffener. I have some 1 1/4" thick × 4" oak that I am going to add to each section.
    I hadn't even thought about spar varnish. I was going to use regular poly, only because I already have it. I'll be getting some spar today. Thanks for the idea wooden toon.
    '85 Starcraft SD240
    Completely Restored.
    Upgraded transom
    Added Cross members

Hey JEB:
    If you want to know anything about adding wood on an area of a pontoon, then woodenpontoon, (Dan) is the source to go to.

Hey Dan - will I see you again at the 2018 Poker Runs ?
    Captain Tony

+ Reply to Thread