Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Forester Facelift

I thought about that, but the whole project is here and it all goes together, so I think I'll just keep it all here. I have pretty good before data for the 50, but I had all kinds of water issues under the boat after I put the center tube back on. The underskinning will sort a lot of that out and make the boat usable. The addition of horsepower will bring who knows what? Time will tell.

The motor is hung, but I haven't made much progress. Working on boats you don't get much busier than right now. I had a guy who wanted to buy the 125 at about a $1200 profit, but I turned him down. It's on the boat now, I'm going to see what it does. If it doesn't work like I want it to it is always a sellable motor.

Photobucket sent me a temporary fix on how to resize my own pics until they get the upload process back under control. It is more complicated than chinese arithmetic. I did all three of those pics the same way, the small one about 5 times and it came out smaller every time. They are not limiting your upload size any more, so you use up all your free storage quickly. They say they are working to fix that.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Everything affects everything else. Moving that deck up the 2 inches I did, and changing it to the deck boards, let water come up thru the deck and cover the engine, actually flooding it out. All of that will have to be fixed, hopefully with the aluminum underskin. That water previously was trapped by the plywood decks on the back.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Larry, we sure enjoy your description of things .But show a few pictures as well.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

I'm going to try, but this photobucket stuff has me all messed up now. What used to be quick and easy is now a 10 minute process for each pic. I emailed some pics to my computer yesterday, to upload to a local classified sight and that went well. I may try that for pics for here. I have not done anything to the boat since I hung the engine on. I bought a controller from a parts guy last night that is on the way today.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

The controller is here, the engine is attached to a battery but not to the controller yet. I am not sure about the steering link yet, I may have to find one of those. I do have 2 here, one is from a 50 Merc, the other from a 1999 90 Force with the Mercury lower unit, I think it will work. I'm not sure yet about cables. I'm going to try to have it ready for memorial day fireworks next Sunday.

The 20 inch 90 hp Evinude came so close to working on this boat it was sad. In the end as you got to 30 mph, the boat came up out of the water enough to pull the prop up and it would let go. If you trimmed it all the way down it would hang on, but you could not steer, as soon as the steering quit torquing it would let go of the water. Now I have this 125 with a 25 inch leg. I am thinking I will put it up off the transom 2 holes, which will put it in the water 3 inches lower than the 90 was. Has anyone done any rigging in the past? I'd appreciate any advice you could give.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hey Larry:

In the old days, (V-Hull times) we would line up the anti-cavitation plate to be level with or an inch below the bottom centerline of the hull.

Can't do that with the pontoons and since you added the center 'toon back on and went to the Merc. 125 it's a crapshoot.

However, from your above descriptions on how the Evinrude behaved I'd say go with a 4 bladed prop to solve your issues.

4 blades will hook up better in the hole and will not blow out in the turns. The reason you couldn't steer the Evinrude was that it was buried
    with trim all the way in. The torque worked against the turning directions.

If you do go with a 4 blade be sure to drop down an inch or even two on the pitch as the 4th blade will lower WOT RPMs by 200 or more.

I'd do some major test runs with the 125 when you get it all hooked up and the steering linkage sorted. But if it losses it in the turns
    borrow a 4 blade Merc Spitfire prop for a trial run. You will be amazed at the difference.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I had every conceivable pitch, diameter, blade count, aluminum, stainless, composite, you name it from 9 pitch barge props, to 21 pitch speed props on that thing, all with the same result. With an aluminum 4 blade 15 pitch at 25 mph and 4700 rpm I could trim it out and drive it like a ski boat. When you opened it up and got it up to 30 mph you could feel the boat get up on top of the water more and the prop came out of the water. It would let go, settle into the water and take another bite, and go back and forth from 28 to 30 mph. I probably had 8 or 10 different props on it.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Well the proof is in the pudding or in this case in the water, so to speak.

You've tried most everything and dropping it down into denser water may be the answer !!

Especially with the 25" leg on the Merc.

Keep us posted.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Love it and the pictures are so clear.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Nothing has changed since the last picture Malcolm, the tilt button works now, that's the only difference.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread