Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Forester Facelift

It has the harness hanging out of the controller, if it works like a 2 stroke the signal should be right there. I will probably not cut another hole in the original console, I'll just hook it up to see where I'm at RPM wise and put the gauges in the new console when I put that in. Thanks again Rick.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I just pulled the cover off and it has the TPS, crank sensor,oil sensor and temp sensor, as well as the ECM instead of a traditional switchbox, so there is no telling how smart it is.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

From the head Guru at BBC:

Control harness DOES have a plug for Instrument Harness (the instrument harness might not be there, though).

Black = Ground ("G" Terminal)

Purple = 12V+ Key Power ("I" Terminal)

Gray = Tach Signal ("S" Terminal).

While there are a number of Marine Tachometer Manufacturers, a Mercury or Quicksilver Tach will come complete with instructions on how to set the tachometer (based on your engine series).

You probably knew this already, but just a confirmation..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Thanks Rick, I do have an instrument harness, but it is an OMC, I actually think they're the same, I will check it out for wire location and see if it fits the merc controller. I just want to get the rpm to pick a prop for now, so I am going to sit the tach in a cup holder hole on the old console so I don't have to cut another hole. The consensus is that I can treat this like any other merc motor, so I'll follow the merc directions in the Faria tach box.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Yep, should work..
    Rick

How's it going Larry? Any updates?
    Rick

The long and short of it is, the center tube is just stirring the water up enough to screw up the flow to the motor, and it will have to come back off. I looked it over good Monday from under the boat and i will just have to cut the heads off of 6 bolts, everything else is reachable with tools. The tube will probably be sold immediately to keep me from trying yo put it back on, BUT, I may get it shortened to from it's current 14 feet to about 5 feet to provide some buoyancy in the bow.

The 50, 4 stroke is a sweet motor, starts like a car, runs quiet and pushes us along at 18 MPH with a camping load and that center tube dragging it down. The tach is wired but never got installed, so I am not sure where the revs are. It seems to me we are a bit short of the 6 k mark though so I may need to change props from the currrent 12.

The new interior is beautiful but I do have a bone to pick with them as far as quality goes. Whoever ground the trim lines from the rotocasting either did not know what they were doing or did not care, and there can not be any follow up inspedction, because these are way bad in some spots.. There are some big ragged places on every piece of the rotocast bases. My sister bumped her knee along the edge of the flip flop base and it tore a fingernail sized piece of skin off her knee. I am going to contact them, but I know what there response will be, "send it all back, we'll give you new." I really don't want to take it off, we were 3 people for 4 hours to put it together and get it on the boat. I'll email them in the next couiple days. I also have to think this is a one off thing with this group of furniture, because I read dozens of reviews and did not see one negative word about quality in general or this issue specifically.

I appreciate the interest, Rick.
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread