Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not an issue...just a newbie question

Default Not an issue...just a newbie question

Just started posting here and notice that it indicates all new posts are reviewed by a moderator before posting. Is this an "all the time" thing? If so, how long usually before a post is reviewed?
    Thanks...Rich

Not long, usually in an hour or so. Once you get a few and we know you are a real person you won't be moderated.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I too became impatient for “approval” and it appears to me that administrators do not spend as much time on these forums as one might expect. Be patient and/or send a PM to the administrator. (Capt Tony was responsive for me.)

I'm here pretty often, and I'm pretty responsive, this was handled in a little over an hour and it was a year ago. We have since started to check the new registrations daily and try to approve them in that first day.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hi all:
    Good questions on an important subject.

The forum recently lost an important Administrator/Moderator;
    CWAG911 passed away in April due to heart health issues.
    He is sorely missed, not just as an Admin but as a great person.

Having said that there are less of us to view & monitor the postings
    and sometimes life gets in the way, however we are trying to be more responsive.

Anyone who wishes to post and is having difficulties getting it to stick;
    please PM, message to Rickdb1, Moser, or myself, Captain Tony and ask for help.

The PDB forum attracts a lot of viewers who never register/sign up and who
    are just monitoring the back & forth postings because they have a passion
    for boating, (pontoons in particular) and are happy to just check in from time to time.

That's great and we encourage all viewers. Obviously there are others like yourself
    who actually wish to participate and register to post comments or photos.

We want to be responsive to our core members so let us know what you want.

Thanks again and any new member who posts their first will get a digital
    copy from yours truly for the latest monthly magazine issue.
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 10-07-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    I'm here pretty often, and I'm pretty responsive, this was handled in a little over an hour and it was a year ago. We have since started to check the new registrations daily and try to approve them in that first day.
    I didn’t notice the fact this original post was made last year...which brings up a curious thing: When I check this site I click on “What’s New” and this topic popped up despite being last year’s topic...so I answered hoping to provide some encouragement to what appeared to be a new participant. I apologize for not having noticed it was an old thread.... but I did also find it took several days before my msgs were approved to be posted as well which is what guided my response.
    Not having the advantage of an administrator I don’t see the number of daily visits from participants but ... if the count/.number of unregistered viewers is indeed a high number as subsequently mentioned... it causes wonder as to why they don’t register and participate. Perhaps they are only lurkers. Another similar pontoon forum has a more active thread-participation but (in my opinion) is unfortunately administered by some folks who cannot refrain from vulgarity and expressing opinions completely unrelated to a boating forum and often controversial. Anyone finding objection is ostracized and ridiculed in a most vulgar manner, even to the point of moderators altering a participants’ personal data to make the participant appear degraded. Their sponsor doubtlessly misses patronage as the result of the out-of-control administrators. I’m very hopeful this forum is able to generate more participation on such a fun topic as boating and related topics as it is a much happier place, IMO.

You use your words carefully Foghorn. Not over the line, but close enough to get your meaning. We have tried to maintain a clean and informative atmosphere at this forum. Sure there are always going to be one or two who buck the system, but we take care of that as needed. Any input you have to generate more traffic is always welcome. We have many lurkers here and that's ok. They still get information that they wouldn't have received if they didn't read the posts. Yeah, it's slow right now. But it is October and boating season is all but through. So that's to be expected. We are working on the post delay and membership approval too..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Hey Foghorn:
    I'm glad you stayed with us and continue to contribute. We need more like that for sure.
    It's difficult to please everyone but I don't think denigrating a viewer/poster is in the best interest of all who look at us.

As you know from your aviation forums, opinions are like belly buttons; everybody has one.
    It's being able to express that opinion in a constructive manner that separates a useful discussion from a poor one.

I've found that most registered posters and registered viewers want the same thing; information about their boats etc.
    It's the occasional Ass that likes to stir things up that should go over to some other forum.

There is a lot of good information on the forum, new posts/old posts - by the way, if a post was done years ago
    but someone comments on it today, it will still show up under "new posts" because it is.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread