Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our New Godfrey Sweetwater 186C

Default Our New Godfrey Sweetwater 186C

After more than 50 years of sailing I needed to tack in order for Carole and I to stay on the water. Last Spring I had to sell our wonderful sailboat due to knee issues (osteo arthritus). The same day I sold "Suo Gan", I bought my pontoon boat. We had an enjoyable time this past season "tooning" around Lake Nockamixon. This was a perfect solution to keep on boating.
    Attached Thumbnails Pontoon boat.jpg  
    Last edited by Gil; 12-17-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Add image

Welcome aboard Gil, that's a nice rig you've got there. I've owned about every kind of powerboat there is, but I always wanted to sail. I keep looking at Hobie Cats and other small sailboats, one of these days I'll grab one of them and give it a try.

It sucks when the old body parts turn on us, how about it?
    2006 Forester 19 Fish
    1990 Mercury 50 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 70 HP Johnson

Raystown Country, PA

Default Suo Gan our ComPac 19 Sailboat

Here is an image of the sailboat we enjoyed the past 12 years. This image shows it in her new home in Lake Lanier Georgia.

Regards, Gil
    Attached Thumbnails suo gan in lake lanier georgia.jpg  

Hey Gil:

Captain Tony here: I got your PM that you are now able to post. Good news.

So, another "rag picker" comes over to the "stink pot" side and welcome to you & yours.

I'll be sending you a link in a PM message for a digital copy of the current PDB Magazine.

Hey guys & gals out there; 12/19 is Gil's birthday - wish him a Happy one.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Yo cap,

Thank you for everything! Yes, we have been rag baggers for more then 50 years. That said, we have crossed over to the "dark side" (stink pots) many times. Carole and I enjoy being out on the water. That is our goal. I have been a charter captain on sailboats up to 44 feet on the Chesapeake Bay several times and have sailed on many other bodies of water including the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans. All good stuff. That said, when the winds change one needs to tack. We vacation in Ocean City, NJ where we have rented pontoon boats on the bay with our family. Those wonderful experiences motivated Carole and I into buying our current "toon" boat and remain on the water.

The marina at Lake Nockamixon has 576 slips, most of which are filled with sailboats. In the past several years more sailboats have been replaced by pontoon boats. When I contacted the marina office last June to tell them about my boat change I was told that "I joined the club"? I asked about this and was told that just this past season more than 30 slip holders made the change to pontoons. It was quite evident the past few years that the pontoon boat population was increasing. I think that the aging boating population has precipitated this change not just at my location but all over the country.

The pontoon boat industry has much to offer the boating population and should continue to "ride the wave".

My 2 cents, Gil

Hey Gil:
    Yes, I agree. I started boating at 15 in a 10' class A racing hull with a "Wizard", (Mercury) outboard. What fun !!

I did try sail boats twice when we lived at the Lake of the Ozarks for 10 years. Owned 2 different small craft and tipped over in both of them.

Went back to Stink Pots and never left. The Pontoon market has grown exponentially over the past 12 - 15 years. The advent of larger engines,
    and 'toons built to safely take them has made even V-Hull captains switch to the 'toons. Another contributing factor has been the popularity
    of tritoons.

That center hull and lifting strakes have shown the HP potential of the larger engines. By way of consequences, the pricing and equipment
    of pontoons has blown out of proportion but the enjoyment factor has jumped also. Take a look at the pricing in the used 'toon market
    and see what you get for $$$$ that would have purchased a 32' day cruiser 5 years ago.

Oh well, we are on the 4th 'toon and even our old 20' deep V I/O Sea Ray has become a trailer queen for years now.

I do not though understand the need for Corian counter tops, power loungers and fire pits on a pontoon that becomes a floating bar.

Nice boat in your pics. Send more - the entire forum participants would like to hear & see your experiences.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Carole at the helm . . .
    Attached Thumbnails carole at hel.jpg  
    Gil W.
    2018 Godfrey Sweetwater 186C
    2018 Mercury 20HP ELPT (lake limit)
    Lake Nockamixon, Quakertown, PA

+ Reply to Thread