Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tap Fins: The true story

Default Tap Fins: The true story

My name is Malcolm Solm and yes, I invented the TAP Fin system.

(On one forum (not this one) they will NOT let me speak... So here I go on this)

1. TAP Fins DO NOT retain bacteria or algae growth because they don't have cavities.
    Understand, over time the strakes will acquire sand, seashells, mud (just to mention a few) which will add weight in the strake.
    2 When the pontoon is in the water ,the strake is Full of water Now at 8.5 lbs of water and say 24 ft of strake...you do the math...
    weight over pontoon means the logs sit lower in the water so now you need some hp to get on plain.. that is where the Fins comes in. We are above the water line and grab that energy right away.
    But don't take my word, look at any brochure or magazine and see the energy coming off the side of their pontoon.

As for this Magazine and editor. Integrity says it ALL, as they have witnessed the results first hand.

PS. that's why it's patented technology. Also, TAP fins are now available on Bentley pontoons from the factory. That alone says alot!!
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

We believe in free speech here Malcolm.

Like I have so many times before, I will ask this question.

Why don't you take some video and show us a simple before and after comparison? Here is boat XYZ, before the TAP fin install, here are the improvements after the TAP fin install. The proof is in the pudding, Malcolm. All the rest is just hype.

I am not attacking you or your product, but I feel like we owe it to the uninitiated to challenge your claims, because as yet, they remain unproven in the eyes of many.

I am retired but I had the words "manufacturing engineer" in my title for most of the 90's. I have been involved in 100s of continuous improvement projects, from participant, to team leader, to planning group leader. The entire process revolves around before and after studies. Here is where we were, this is what we did to improve the process and here is where we ended up. Show us that, with some good results, and I will become a TAP fin cheerleader.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Malcolm, I have no problem with you hyping your tap fins, I'm sure they work very well. My problem is your story about water weight in strakes. Strakes will not make your pontoon ride lower in the water, because they are open to the water so any water inside will not add weight, and as you accelerate the water drains out the rear causing no weight problem. There appears to be less material in strakes than in tap fins so it seems to me that less weight would be added with strakes. The tap fins also add more weight to the nose of the pontoon requiring more power to lift the front.

Glenn
    2008 SunTracker Regency Party Barge 22
    2008 Mercury 115hp 4stroke

Great to hear from you Glen,
    As always I get to deal with arrogance.

The strake is under water when at the dock. Right? If so, then water is in it. Some strakes have there back capped others are open. Heck some run half way down the outside of the log and others go on both sides of a log .
    The game is ... they're all different.
    The facts are... seeing and experiencing the T.A.P. Fins is another thing.
    Glen , it appears there is a lack of your research on the T.A.P. Fins
    Larry - well that's be going on from the start, (he has been invited for rides to experience the T.A.P. Fins but has yet to show.) All the proof in the world is not enough. 20 years ago I crossed Lake Michigan with my pontoon and since then have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience with pontoons. They've come a long way, wouldn't you agree?
    Malcolm.

Fellow pontooners,

I didn’t start this post to hype my product but to provide information, answer questions and present the facts for people to understand the difference between strakes and the T.A.P. Fins. Especially since the other forum wouldn’t even let me on it.

Glenn, I think you missed my point. If a pontoon is at the dock and it has strakes, do they not get water in them? If so, why do some strakes have drain holes in the back? And why do some leave theirs open? Think about it.

20 years ago I took my T.A.P. equipped pontoon across Lake Michigan. And over the years have gained a wealth of knowledge and experience with pontoons and they’ve evolved. They’ve come a long way! Wouldn’t you agree?

As for Larry, he’s been invited to come take a ride and experience the T.A.P. Fins first hand but has yet to show. No matter how much data I present, nothings good enough.

Happy Boating
    Malcolm
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Hi There,
    First of...I do not know anything about Tab Fins.
    Here is what I have a problem with....doesn't make sense to me or is it just me?

2 When the pontoon is in the water ,the strake is Full of water Now at 8.5 lbs of water and say 24 ft of strake...you do the math...
    weight over pontoon means the logs sit lower in the water so now you need some hp to get on plain

Glenn, I think you missed my point. If a pontoon is at the dock and it has strakes, do they not get water in them? If so, why do some strakes have drain holes in the back? And why do some leave theirs open? Think about it.
    Reiner & Family
    2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL
    XL-Performance Package
    150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke
    San Diego

OK let's concede that the strake gets water in it. If that water drains out as the boat comes up on plane, what difference does it make?

Are you suggesting that water that accumulates in the strake and then drains once the boat is accellerated somehow impacts the performance?

Are you suggesting that the fact that the TAP fin is installed above the water line, just that fact, makes it a superior product?

RBI did you and Malcolm go to the same school?

Again, I have no bone to pick with you Malcolm, you started these posts, I just will not let this go unchallanged. If you are going to promote this product on this forum you are going to have to provide some data to back up your claims. I have yet to see any real data that backs up any point you have attemped to make. An engineering firm should be happy to provide data to back up any claim they make, especially performance improvement claims.

Taking a ride on a TAP fin fitted boat may show me how that boat runs with the fins, but it tells me nothing at all about how the boat ran without the fins, so I really can't see if they made any difference. Can't you see that point Malcolm? Can't you see how a before and after demonstration, if it impacts the boat positively, could be the best sales tool you ever had?
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

As we all now can Read as well as See the confusion here....Back to my point free speech on this forum tell both sides

RBI, should you like to see some info on pontoons that have a different set up on pontoon performance
    Face book
    Conrad Marine TAP Fin....photos

Larry....love ya sorry but your "manufacturing Engineer" title was wrong.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

Not one question answered.
    Not one point addressed.

The title of manufacturing engineer became assembly department supervisor, and then assembly department manager, so I must have been doing something right. Unless you have lived in the continuous improvement environment of manufacturing in the USA today, you really can't have any clue what that entails.

Love ya right back big boy.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    OK let's concede that the strake gets water in it. If that water drains out as the boat comes up on plane, what difference does it make?

Are you suggesting that water that accumulates in the strake and then drains once the boat is accellerated somehow impacts the performance?

Are you suggesting that the fact that the TAP fin is installed above the water line, just that fact, makes it a superior product?

RBI did you and Malcolm go to the same school?

Again, I have no bone to pick with you Malcolm, you started these posts, I just will not let this go unchallanged. If you are going to promote this product on this forum you are going to have to provide some data to back up your claims. I have yet to see any real data that backs up any point you have attemped to make. An engineering firm should be happy to provide data to back up any claim they make, especially performance improvement claims.

Taking a ride on a TAP fin fitted boat may show me how that boat runs with the fins, but it tells me nothing at all about how the boat ran without the fins, so I really can't see if they made any difference. Can't you see that point Malcolm? Can't you see how a before and after demonstration, if it impacts the boat positively, could be the best sales tool you ever had?
    Moser, why are you barking at me????
    I questioned the same you did.....""OK let's concede that the strake gets water in it. If that water drains out as the boat comes up on plane, what difference does it make?""
    Reiner & Family
    2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL
    XL-Performance Package
    150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke
    San Diego

Closed Thread