Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
Closed Thread

Thread: Lets ask the experts.....about Strake and foils.

Default Lets ask the experts.....about Strake and foils.

Do strakes and foils hold water in them.

Witch perform better, the foil or strake Why.
    How come some pontoons have both on there units
    Why are some strakes caped and others open.
    Do you have them on your pontoon?
    Do they give a softer ride.?
    How do they help the pontoon in turning.

Short and to the point answers please.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

OK I can start this

Do 2 inch
    4 inch
    6 inch
    Strakes work the best, and if strakes give lift why do they all come with under skin. ?
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

I could ramble on with facts that don't make sense, and unproven claims, but I'll stay short and to the point.

Why don't you do a simple before and after demonstration with your product and show us?

You are the one person in the group with everything you need to do a demonstration, yet you won't. I have to assume there is a reason why you won't. I don't like to assume anything, but you leave us no choice. Until I see an unbiased before and after test, the talk about fins, strakes, foils, skins, and everything else is just that, talk.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Thank you.

Have a question, can that pontoon of yours with that 50 hp come on plain with the weight you show ?
    you talk of experience whats the most hp on a pontoon have you run,
    I like your pictures on re carpeting.
    experience is a good thing please keep showing yours.

Malcolm
    Last edited by funtooner; 03-19-2019 at 03:14 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

I'm not sure what you're asking me Malcolm. Most 50 hp pontoons don't come up on plane, mine won't either. My boat did get way up out of the water with the 90 on it, I would have called that on plane. I have a 125 XL shaft here now that might go on the pontoon. It is for sale though, so if it goes that project is out. I've also got a 235 Johnny, but im not putting that on any pontoon. Send me a set of TAP fins, I'll do you a legitimate before and after study on my boat with the 50. You and I and a group from the forum can sit down and decide what we want to measure, and Brady can put it all in the magazine.

The horsepower on the boat is not relevant to the study. Do you improve performance with the TAP fin system or by slamming on great big motors?

I have mentioned the NUVI logs from Tracker before. They had a 21 foot boat with a 60 BF, in a video with the boat going across the water. They then showed the identical boat with the NUVI logs (lifting strakes) approaching from the rear and passing the stock boat. It was an impressive demonstration. It clearly showed what that treatment did to the boats performance. I don't understand why you would not do that kind of comparison.

You and I are going in circles again. I'm out of this unless something new happens, I've had this same conversation too many times already.

Good luck and God bless.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Larry
    Thanks but will pass , HP is just not there.
    But I sure enjoying your know how
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

Here we go.....

Larry ,RBI and any 1 else
    as you both know the foil is a copy of the 1st strake.
    Like a wall or a barrier.

Now if it is on the under side of a pontoon log water will get IN it. That is why they added the hole in back. to let the water out so to keep that added weight off, performance improves.
    You still have side resistance.(our engineer can explain that.)
    Stuff that gets inside of them., why would I know of this? we take them off and feel as well as see what in them.(experience)
    Then ride, the flatter the bottom the rougher the ride.(like a John Boat)
    Lets leave it here so that the engineer can reply.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

Well. It seems like this thread has run it's course. So with that said, I will close it, as I doubt there is any more info to attain..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Closed Thread