Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hate having to hit the store for a bag of ice before getting out on the lake??

Default Hate having to hit the store for a bag of ice before getting out on the lake??

I’m sure if you can afford a boat out on the lake for a weekend you can certainly afford to buy a bag of ice for the cooler every day you are on the lake. But do you have to?

Take two of the really heavy-duty construction trash bags you can get at Lowe’s or Home Depot, put one inside the other, then put them both into your cooler and trim them off about 8 to 12 inches above the top of the cooler. Save the trimmings.

Take one of the trimmings (there will be two) and fold it so it covers the bottom of the cooler. Take the other trimming and put it in between the two bags you have just trimmed.

Then place whatever you want in the cooler and spread your ice out. Take your ice right up to the edge of the cooler and carefully fold the trash bags over so there is a pretty good seal and close the cooler tightly. If you have to trim a little more bag…ok. You might have to take some ice out….but the cooler needs to be able to close shut tightly.

We have gotten 3 solid days of use out of a 10 lb bag of ice regularly. If you fold closed the bags carefully each time you open the cooler and make sure you have a tightly closed lid you should be golden.

Like I said, it isn’t going to save you a fortune, but it will keep you have having to hit the store for another bag of ice before getting out on the lake!

Good advice Richinc:

However, for an initial investment of about $80.00 to $90.00 you too can have your own ice making machine.

There are multiple units on the market within this price range that will make small conical shaped cubes and do it all day long.
    For my birthday a few years ago, our daughter gave us an Ambico ice maker which I use in the summer to supply our entire months ice needs.

This past Memorial day I ran it on & off for two days, used 3 gallons of spring water and stored 8 zip loc bags of ice in the freezer.
    If I need more after a month or two, I can run it for a few hours and resupply 20 to 30 lbs. of ice and so on.

Let's see, at $8.00 per bag, (20) lbs at the local fuel store; I can pay for the ice machine in 10 - 12 days if I ran it only 6 hours per day.
    Humm, pretty neat little deal.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnrpIfWojg
    Mine is like the Amazon Bay & or RCA shown in the youtube video.

Some brands like Igloo, Ambico, Whynter, and other small countertop makers are at Home Depot, Target, Walmart, Lowes, etc. and many on-line retailers.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I'm old school and like most, love my beer very cold.
    I clean quart containers from milk or cream, fill 3/4 with water and place in the freezer.
    In 24 - 48 hrs later, you have ice !!!
    I take a hammer, give the container 5 or 6 whacks (cut container open)and you've got cracked ice.
    Or leave it in big blocks that last for days.
    Have a great Summer !
    Mike K.
    2000 Bennington 22

Boston, Ma
    Belmont, NH

Yep, fill a few gallon and 1/2 gal. milk jugs and freeze. They stay frozen all day. I also dump all the ice out of the ice maker on top of everything.
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

+ Reply to Thread