Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proud Ships in Comfortable Shape

thumbs up Proud Ships in Comfortable Shape

Hey Pontoon Drivers: Guys or Gals !!

We all know the tremendous growth in the boating industry seems to be centered around Pontoon & Deck Boats - Therefore, the reason for the PDB Magazine & on-line Forum.

The overall industry has experienced growth but for many new-comers and experienced upgraders maybe the entry price of all the bells and whistles is a bit too much right now.

There are many, many pre-owned and desirable boats out there that have found new owners and some are earlier years that may not have the stone bar/counter tops, rear facing recliners, diving boards or changing rooms.

So here is the challenge !!

Post a pic or more of your current boat, include the year of build, year you got it, engine & HP and what you have done to personalize your boat. Give us her name if she has one & where she ports.

For every one who posts in this challenge, I'll send a PM, (private message) with a link to the latest digital copy of Pontoon & Deck Boat Magazine.

Start posting folks -
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

My boat is a 1994 Tracker Party Cruiser which I bought in 2009. It was in good shape, but was worn. That year I removed the body panels & had them repainted. I also removed everything from the cabin door forward & replaced the fwd deck board, removed & replaced the carpeting, reinforced & recovered all the furniture, installed a seriously loud sound system (it already had a second battery added) & moved the console a couple inches fwd. As Tracker made this thing, one couldn't sit comfortably behind the console unless they were a very small person & 2" was all I could move it due to the holes for the cables & wires, but it was just enough. Last year I replaced the Captain's chair. Which is a misnomer: I'm the captain & I mostly sit up front in the sun drinking beer & have someone else pilot the boat.

In subsequent years I added underskining (.032 2024T3 alum.) & fastened it with SS self-tapping screws spaced about 1-1/2" apart (I'm an aircraft mechanic & that'd be a very wide spacing on an airplane). That was overkill but it added a lot of strength to the boat. I removed everything aft of the cabin & replaced the carpeting & recovered the furniture there. I replaced the cabin roof membrane (which was not easy, nor cheap), polished the rails & toons to a high finish (Big mistake: the logs turned grey & accumulated algae as per usual). I added a small microwave oven & installed a power port in the cabin so we could charge our phones.

When the AC/heater unit went out I replaced it with a new unit that was 2,500 bigger on the AC. I installed 2 100w direct beam lights on the front & got a 500,000 candle power spotlight I can plug into the power port (cigarette lighter) receptacle on the console, just in case. I also added a portable marine band transmitter/receiver w/NOAA weather radio, just in case. Along with a list of the phone numbers of marinas, the towing company, Coast Guard & the Alton lock & dam. I like to be prepared for when things go south. I have 2 anchors, a big one & a small one. (The small one is for keggling, which I've had to do once & one just can't chuck a big anchor very far.)

I added (not seen in photos cuz is new) a railing on the roof extending fwd) so it's legal to be up there. It's too short to legally ride there under power, which I do) but I'm hoping it's enough to talk my way out of a ticket if I get pulled over. Since Tracker covered the cabin panels with cheap vinyl which delaminates over time, I covered the sides of the cabin with .025 2024T3 alum. & buffed them to a high shine. I upgraded the depth finder to a GPS Humminbird depth/fish finder which has way more features than I'll ever need.

Other items which came with the boat & I haven't messed with yet include: a shower w/water tank, a small toilet, an Onan 4kw generator, a 2 burner stove (electric or alcohol), a sink with a potable water tank, a couch with a hideaway bed, a table w/2 receptacles, window blinds & a small refrigerator. My next addition will be adding another amplifier & set of Polk speakers in the cabin facing aft.

I christened the boat "The Marvelous Mimi" as a tribute to a good friend's mother & daughter. The boat is woefully underpowered w/115 hp Merc (top speed is 13 mph with clean logs, otherwise 11. I get 1-1/2 mpg. And that's downhill), but when this engine goes out I have a line on a 175 v-6 Merc. The transom is only rated for 150 hp, but I'll reinforce it & take the sticker off that says so in order not be be ticketed for that.

I'm docked at the Piasa marina on pool 26 of the Mississippi river on the Illinois side, half way between Alton & Grafton. Right now the river is at the 2nd highest it's ever been & will crest just about 2' under the 1993 flood. I need a boat to get to my boat & I'm not loving it.

Sorry to make such a long post, but I just love my boat & take a lot of pride in it.

https://postimg.cc/GBfbpDqD/bbda8a8b
    https://postimg.cc/qzr4g4X1/3ef84120
    https://postimg.cc/GHDKgnWn/0e5d0369
    https://postimg.cc/rDCJcCyh/b4559e71
    https://postimg.cc/kVTvRJbK/6541e63a
    https://postimg.cc/9RSP1L1f/e68af6ef
    https://postimg.cc/ZWzMmx3g
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Wow - No really, WOW. That is the most sanitary, well thought out rebuild of a Tracker that I've ever seen.
    I can see that your Airframe skills paid off in the refurbishment. Nice job.

I know the pain of the current flooding on the Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois & Meramec rivers as I live in STL.
    We may yet see the levels of 1993 on some rivers.

That Piasa area has much history and I even remember the original "Bird" painting on the cliff sides.
    What a shame to have lost that original creation to incompetence.

Belercous, I'm sending your digital copies today along with a bonus issue or two.

Thanks
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

WOW is right. Well done. Really nice boat!
    Gil W.
    2018 Godfrey Sweetwater 186C
    2018 Mercury 20HP ELPT (lake limit)
    Lake Nockamixon, Quakertown, PA

+ Reply to Thread