Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marine OSB?

Default Marine OSB?

Do any of you guys have any experience with a product called Marine OSB? It is just what you'd imagine, a sheet of OSB, but the promise is it will hold up to the marine environment BETTER than Marine grade plywood.

I have bought an older SanPan pontoon for a flip project and the floors were done with this product 3 years ago. It was a docked boat so it lived in the water, the sheets look like they went on yesterday.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

If it is/was AdvanTech OSB, then I could see it lasting a long time. Maybe longer than plywood. But any other so-called "treated" osb would give me cause for concern.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Hey Larry:
    I'm glad that your project boat had a good result with that particular OSB product.
    I am however, not a fan of OSB for marine use and had seen poor results in prior rebuilds.

Unlike "chip board" which has also been used with disaster results on boats, at least Oriented Strand Board
    seems to work well in home building for roof sheathing and flooring but strips of wood and glue
    doesn't seem to hold up in a water based environment.

I think marine grade ply or synthetic decking would be preferable. How about a picture or two of the
    condition ? What thickness, 3/4 or 1" ? Were the edges sealed ? Any top coat sealer that you can tell ?
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 08-05-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I'll get a couple pics. I don't know any more about it other than that there is OSB on the decks and the guy I bought it from said it's a top quality product used in construction and should hold up. I had a guy here who does roofs and gutters for a living and he told me about the AdvanTech that Rick mentioned. He said he has had a 2 x 3 piece diverting water in his pond for 3 years that looks like new. It is what it is, I got the boat cheap with no motor, I actually have the 50 Evinrude that came off it here, so I'll put that back on and hopefully someone else owns it by September. I am having a hard time getting the deal done on a trailer for it, so it is not here yet. I may get that done tomorrow.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread