Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wireless rear backup camera.

You did just what I want to do. How did you get power from the trailer to the rear facing camera. I was going to plug the camera into the 12v outlet on the pontoon but I was concerned about running down the boat battery on a long haul. If you would, tell me how to splice into the trailer wire to get power. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Getting power is not hard. I just spliced into the tail light wire. I ALWAYS run with my trailer lights on so I have constant power over that wire therefore constant power to the camera which transmits to the monitor. The only problem you will have is if you don't run with your trailer lights on.

The camera (see previous thread) is mounted on a piece of hardwood that I mount each time and in the boat prep area take off and unplug each time. It does not go into the water when I launch. Adds about two minutes prep time but well worth knowing what is going on behind me.

Do you splice into the taillight wire down where the tail light is actually attached to rear of trailer or do you run a wire back from the wiring harness at the front of the trailer? I worry about splicing to taillight at rear of trailer as this end is constantly going into the water. Do you have a wire running on the floor to the camera that you disconnect before you launch? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right when I install it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    Do you splice into the taillight wire down where the tail light is actually attached to rear of trailer or do you run a wire back from the wiring harness at the front of the trailer? I worry about splicing to taillight at rear of trailer as this end is constantly going into the water. Do you have a wire running on the floor to the camera that you disconnect before you launch? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right when I install it. Thanks again.
    When I got my trailer it had normal bulb lights. I removed those and put new LED lights on and at the same time spliced (SOLDERED) a power wire and ground wire for the cameras on the back. I also mounted a second set of trailer lights much higher so there was no way you would miss pulling up on this rig.

The screen I view what is going on behind me is obviously in the cab of the truck. It has one of those cigarette lighter plug in adapters. What I had to do was take the mount that fits the 7 inch screen and tape it securely to a sturdy phone mount so it would support the large screen. I took a piece of the smallest PVC pipe I could find and cut it in half length wise and planed it down until it fit the phone support neck tightly and taped it really tight. That give me the support I need for the large screen. I really wish there was an optional screen normal say GPS size but there is only the big screen. When
    I leave before daylight I have to hang my hat over the screen because if there is a car behind me it can get rather bright!!

If you solder and tape and shrink wrap the wire on the trailer you should have no problem with it.

+ Reply to Thread