Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: wireless rear backup camera.

Default wireless rear backup camera.

Has anybody mounted a rear wireless backup camera on the pontoon itself to aid in launching at boat ramp and trailering down highway. The monitor being located in the tow vehicle. If so, what brand and where did you mount it on the pontoon. Thanks.

I have thought about it, but I am not sure the signal would make it from the back of the trailer to the dash. I had one of the cheap Peak brand cameras in my full sized pickup and the signal got lost all the time. I gave it to my nephew for his Priuss and it worked much better there. I got a wired version of the same camera and it works well. I think you could use a wireless one one on the boat and it would work for you, I'm just not sure about the signal making in the tow vehicle. You would have to consider power consumption by the camera while towing, it would almost have to come off the boat battery. You'd have to put that on a timer or be sure to turn it off, it would drain your battery eventually. You would also have to put the monitor on some kind of movable mount, with a power cord to even try it in the tow vehicle. That is a view that I would like to have though. I have my camera wired so I can turn it on all the time and just keep an eye on the trailer behind the truck. The simplest way to hide the license plate mount for the camera would be to get an "I love my 'Toon" license plate and hang it on the back of the boat.

BTW welcome to the PDB Forum dutch.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hi Dutch:

Welcome to the PDB forum.
    Your registration is now approved and thanks for posting your question.
    I've not thought about the rear view camera idea, I guess because I dock the pontoon
    and only trailer to launch & haul out for maintenance. It is usually on the lift through the season.

I will PM you with a free digital copy of the latest issue of the magazine.
    When you get chance, send us pictures.
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 01-23-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I also tried the inexpensive Peak-brand of wireless rear-view cameras. It was intermittent... until I decided to move the camera’s transmitter to the cab of my pickup. I actually mounted it within the left A-post (left windshield doorpost) behind the grab handle. It never loses signal now.

This led me to install another on the back license plate of my Airstream travel trailer. Knowing it’d have a wireless range limitation, I simply added length to the harness and moved it’s transmitter also to co-exist with my truck’s rear view camera. I interfaced the trailer camera to the truck through a 4-pole trailer lighting-connector such as found on lightweight trailers. I added an automotive type 40A relay so I could switch between the truck and the trailer camera.

The advantage of doing it this way was the transmitters are located within the truck cab (about 2’ from the monitor) and I only needed one monitor for either camera by selecting which camera is powered via the relay just mentioned. Total cost for both cameras was less than$200, and I have a spare monitor in case the one in the cab dies.

Side-benefit: These Peak cameras work on a bluetooth principle. Whenever I pass by a particular convenience-store I get to see what their security-camera sees in the beer cooler. LOL

Default wireless rear backup camera

Thanks for the welcome to your forum. I've always towed regular fishing boats thru the years. However, the wife has convinced me to get a pontoon. We compromised on a 16dlx sun tracker bass buggy. That way I can still fish and she can sun tan or lounge or whatever she does while I fish. I've never towed a boat that is almost 9ft in the air while on it's trailer. I'm trying not to freak out ahead of time but I have nightmares of boat launch mishaps that I have seen thru the past years. I shook my head back then but now the fool will be me. I looked at the Haloview camera on Amazon and the reviews seemed good. I too worry about signal loss. I was thinking about attaching it to a table post that has a mount in the floor in the back of the pontoon. Maybe only hooking it up for launching, powering it with the 12v outlet on the dash. I laughed about the comment about seeing what was in the beer cooler at the party store, but now that I am a new pontoon owner, it would benefit me more to access the cash out ATM code at that same party store. Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    . I laughed about the comment about seeing what was in the beer cooler at the party store, but now that I am a new pontoon owner, it would benefit me more to access the cash out ATM code at that same party store. Thanks again for the info.
    LOL. A really unusual moment of confusion occurred once while traveling down the Interstate. I wasn’t using my monitor at all...it was “sleeping” ...since I wasn’t pulling my camera-equipped Airstream... and it wasn’t displaying the truck’s rear bumper hitch or the traffic behind me because I wasn’t backing-up. (The truck’s camera is powered by the backup-light circuit, so running down the Interstate it wasn’t powered. The monitor was simply dark whlle “asleep”.)

Suddenly, while running 70 mph on the Interstate I was surprised to see the monitor suddenly “light-up” and show the license-plate of another automobile.
    I was confused by it and tried to figure out what vehicle license-plate was so close to to my rear bumper, and why my backup camera was suddenly powered since my backup lights weren’t presently powered. I remained puzzled for a half-mile or so as this made no sense at all.

I was in the right-lane of a two-lane Interstate, and about the time I was most-puzzled... a car passed me on the left.... closely tail-gated by another pickup truck. The pickup truck had a Peak camera mounted on it’s front-bumper, apparently for the purpose of observing the front-bumper-mounted hitch on that truck’s cattle-guard. (I’m guessing he occasionally uses the front hitch of his truck to manuever a trailer in a tight-spot and the front-mount camera is intended to assist him in connecting up with that trailer.)

In this instance, he was tailgating the license-plate displayed on MY monitor and his Peak camera was blue-toothing the signal to his monitor (which he may have turned off)... but the result was I was seeing on my monitor the license-plate of the car he was tailgating!

After they passed the tailgater zoomed around his victim and sped-away out of range and my monitor went back to sleep. LOL

Hey, I did just that. I mounted not only a digital wireless camera but a motorcycle dashcam as well. I get power from the trailer to run both cameras. The digital camera does really well in showing me what is going on behind me and makes it immensely safer to change lanes. Once the boat is on the trailer I cant see squat behind me and the only thing I am not wild about is the receiving screen is a full 8 inches. The picture is great but the size can make it a pain some time.

Found the website where I got my digital camera.....www.4ucam.com.

Hopefully the pic of both cams...rear view and motorcycle dashcam....made it. I made a support which goes on and off easily.

There is a cheaper non digital camera but it gets a bit of interference often but the digital has been flawless.
    Attached Thumbnails camcam (Copy)..jpg  

Nice set up Richinnc, I like the idea of the view out the back of the boat to help with lane changes and backing. i am also fast becoming a dashcam proponent, after seeing them help some friend's in commercial truck situations. the video usually tels it like it is Thanks for sharing, maybe show us that big screen monitor too.

Do the cameras stay back there, the video would be a blast to review if you pull tubers?
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    Nice set up Richinnc, I like the idea of the view out the back of the boat to help with lane changes and backing. i am also fast becoming a dashcam proponent, after seeing them help some friend's in commercial truck situations. the video usually tels it like it is Thanks for sharing, maybe show us that big screen monitor too.

Do the cameras stay back there, the video would be a blast to review if you pull tubers?
    No, they both come off in the prep area. The power comes from the trailer wiring...not the boat. It would be easy to come up with a mount that would fit my grill stand if I wanted to record tubers. Here is a web shot of the camera and the monitor. I took the monitor bracket and tied it really well to a cup phone holder and cut 1/2 interior pvc in half and taped around the cup holder flexy part. Very stable.
    Attached Thumbnails screen..jpg  

+ Reply to Thread