Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: More newbie questions

Default More newbie questions

Iím trying to spec-out my first boat purchase. Hope I can get some advice on three issues:

1) The dealer charges $531 for Sharkhide on three pontoons. Is it worth it?

2) I live near Lake Murraay in SC. People here boat all year round. Even in winter, there are usually one or two days per week when itís warm enough to go out. Itís not clear to me what the value is of a playpen cover or seat covers. I donít think I would enjoy constantly taking them off or putting them back on. Seat coves alone would add $900 to the price.

3) Under what circumstances does it make sense to opt for a dual battery system? I would not be going out at night; so I would not be running lights. No stereo. A GPS is the only accessory I can think of that I would run off the battery. I would carry a jump box in case the battery went dead and the boat wouldnít start. Do I need adual batteries?

I don't sharkhide my tubes, but if I dd I'd buy three cans and put one on each tube myself, or pay the neighbor kid to do it.

If the boat lives in the water it needs to be covered or the seats will pay the price. I have seen 4 year old boats that needed new interiors because they sat in the sun year round. I spent $3500 to replace my 10 year old interior last summer. While I was at it I sent to the manufacturer and got a mooring cover made to cover the new stuff up, they charged $700 for the new cover. If you will have the boat in 5 years and you want it to look nice, you should figure out a way to protect the interior from the sun. I can cover my boat by myself in about 3 minutes I'd guess. I start in the corner right behind the helm and work across the back, then up the port side, past the first pole, place the pole and snap up the starboard side. I work my way forward to the gate snapping and placing poles as I go. It soon becomes second nature, and it pays off by keeping the inerior nice. I've never used them but I've often thought that the individual seat covers would be easier to work with.

I don't fish on my pontoon anymore so I don't have a second battery. I take a jump box just like you are saying, in case i need it. I've been doing that for a few years now without a problem. I listen to the radio and charge phones and occasionaly run a C-pap machine overnight on a big Interstate battery, I've never run it down yet.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

DocPit

You might like to come to the Charlotte Boat Show , Feb 7-9
    Just a thought.

Malcolm
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Hey DocPit:

These are tough choices went it comes to opening up the wallet after just committing to a major capital expense.

If you will dock in-water you will find that the SharkHyde will help with keeping the 'toons cleaner.
    Notice I said "cleaner" since the aluminum will eventually darken and algae will attach. Applying SharkHyde correctly is a laborious
    task that requires hours of cleaning applying and polishing so the dealer charge may be in line with going rates.

However, note that this also is a delaying process as it will eventually wear off. So, do you want to apply it yourself, or do you want to clean
    the 3 tubes each year at haul out with a power washer ? Maybe you can bargain with the dealership for a better price ? Try it.

As to the playpen cover, again as Moser said, try to protect those seats and carpet from the So. Carolina sun. You will not regret a playpen
    cover but don't add the seat covers, just do the major playpen.

As to the dual battery ? It doesn't sound like your usage is going to require this feature. Although I favor 2 batteries when using
    a lot of radio music, heavy electronics, nighttime running etc. If your new engine is set up properly and the charging alternator
    is out putting correctly; I'd pass on the expense of two. The jump box should get you out of any non-start situation.

It sounds like the most important of your three issues would be buy the playpen cover. Clean the 'toons or get a lift.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

What Malcolm says about the boat show is good advice, if you have not picked a boat or dealer or location you love yet. The very best prices on new boats are at the major springtime boat shows, both boat and engine manufacturers will offer discounts that the dealers can pass on without killing their bottom line. If you already have a boat picked out ask the dealer about boat show incentives that may be there if you waiit a few weeks. Tell him you are waiting for the boat show and watch the sharkhide and covers get more affordable.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll be going to the Columbia (SC) Boat Show, Feb 7-9.

I tried Shark-Hide once. Yeah, not worth it. My boat lives in the water so I have to take it out once a year to powerwash the algae off, but also to the check the underskinning & service the lower unit.

I have (& recommend) a dual battery system because when I go out it's for 5+ hours at a time & we use the stereo system. My stereo system draws a lot of power as it produces 175 watts. (That's RMS @ 8 ohms, per channel. As stereos are advertised today that would be a 1500 watt system.) My engine's generator can't keep up with the stereo's power requirement so it needs a couple batteries to last for an outing. And even then, if I crank the stereo to max, it won't last more than 3 hours.

A fitted canvas tarp to cover the seats is money well spent, unless the boat is docked under a roof or you park it in a shed when it's not in use. If that's not you're situation (& yes it's, a PIA to install & remove), consider how much fun it'll be to have all of your upholstery redone every 6 years or so; 8-9 if you don't mind a ratty looking boat.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

I keep my boat in the off-season under a custom-built boat-shed. (Boating season is long but interrupted by whole weeks at a time unsuitable for a short weekend boating experience) down here in central Texas. But I still cover it with a playpen cover. Why? Because you will find all kinds of birds will sit in the rafters of your boat shed and SHED on your upholstery, flooring, engine, tables, instruments, stereo.... see my point?

As for the second battery, I installed a second battery because my wife and I often spend the night on the lake and the lake is abandoned at night and early morning where we overnight. I want a strong battery backup. That’s just my preference. If you don’t mind dealing with jumper boxes and cables, then that should be a good solution for you. (And anyone who shows up in our quiet coves with a 1500 Watt stereo blasting away on the lake ... THEY will not last 3-hours! I don’t know why some folks think it’s OK to be so rude in public. I’m sure belercous is only doing so where he’s isolated or in consideration of others, but sound travels a looong ways over water.)
    Last edited by FogHorn; Today at 11:03 AM.

I put SH on my tritoon and when I put the trailering cover on the straps just rubbed the heck out of it. Anything that rubs up against it will leave a definite mark.

I'm moving along on the river when I've got the stereo cranking. Usually I don't have it near maximum. Btw, it's not an actual 1500w stereo, it's a true 175w stereo system.

For the last 35+ years merchants & manufacturers have misled the public on the power ratings of stereos. My amp pushes 175w RMS into 8 ohms, per channel. Advertising departments take that 175w, then double it for 2 channels. Now it's a 350w system. But then, they take that 350w RMS & double it because that's peak wattage (RMS is constant power, a bit more than double that for peak power). Now that 175w system is putting out about 750w. That's into 8 ohms. If one adds another set of 8 ohm speakers (wired in parallel) or uses 4 ohm speakers, double the wattage again.

(175w RMS converted into peak wattage is about 375w. Double that 375w into 2 channels & it's now 750w. That's into 8 ohm speakers. Adding another set of speakers cuts the impedance to 4 ohms, allowing the amplifier to double it's output wattage; hence 1500w, as advertised.) Measured the old school way, my stereo system is a 175w. Measured by how merchants rate stereo systems today it's 1500w. Same system, just 2 different ways of measuring the power. What would you rather buy, a 175w or a 1500w system?

My 175w system is louder than needed, but not as loud as I sometimes want it.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

+ Reply to Thread