Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have info (dirt?) on Forest River's one piece composite decking?

Default Anyone have info (dirt?) on Forest River's one piece composite decking?

Anyone have info (dirt?) on Forest River's new one piece composite decking?

I know it's only been out for a couple of years but if any issues are showing up already, then it's definitely something to avoid! Has anyone heard anything or know of any problems or issues with this? The South Bay dealer near me is very proud of the stuff but I'm always leery of new tech until it's well proven.

Thanks!

I Have never heard anything but positive reviews on it. If South Bay is using it, I would not hesitate to put it on the Forest river.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

I have a Excursion built by Forest River. It's a 2012 and no problems at all. Still looks new.
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Sully View Post
    I have a Excursion built by Forest River. It's a 2012 and no problems at all. Still looks new.
    You have a one piece composite floor? The South Bay salesman said the first year for this new floor is 2018.

Well, I'm not really sure. It's solid and has no seams showing.
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

SouthBay is one of Forest River’s brand-name pontoon boats. Berkshire is another. This is because Forest River, a traditional RV mfr’r is owned by Berkshire-Hathaway. The composite floor is an effort to reduce the possibility of rot, which can occur in wood floorings. All the modern Forest River mfr’d pontoon boats used treated lumber for flooring and most included under-skinning which almost eliminates wood-rot issues, but since Forest River pontoons carry “lifetime” warranties (for initial owners) on the structure they have introduced composite flooring to assure themselves and owners that no problems will arise due to wood rot. It is a good thing by all reports. The only downside is proper repair schemes should damage occur from alterations or collisions. Composites require specialized materials and techniques. Replacing deck furniture requires careful placement and use of fasteners but should not be a problem for professionals.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread