Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My sun tracker xp3 tritoon bow dosent lift very high on plane

Default My sun tracker xp3 tritoon bow dosent lift very high on plane

Ive owned the Sun tracker tritune22’ xp3 and the 24’ xp3. Both with mercury 150 4strokes. It seems that the 22 footer when trimmed up… Had a much higher bow… Allowing it to take on the waves that were 2 feet plus high… The 24 footer doesn’t respond that same way to trim...The same wave will break over the front while running… I know that how the boat is loaded accounts for a lot of us. But I’ve tried moving all the weight to the back. And still could not get much height out of the bow to take on larger waves. Would it help if I got some kind of performance plate for the engine? (Like stingray?). Or is it a case of more RPMs equals more bow rise with trim. Thank you so much it gets really snotty out on Charlotte Harbor

Quote Originally Posted by phyrefighterjay View Post
    Ive owned the Sun tracker tritune22’ xp3 and the 24’ xp3. Both with mercury 150 4strokes. It seems that the 22 footer when trimmed up… Had a much higher bow… Allowing it to take on the waves that were 2 feet plus high… The 24 footer doesn’t respond that same way to trim...The same wave will break over the front while running… I know that how the boat is loaded accounts for a lot of us. But I’ve tried moving all the weight to the back. And still could not get much height out of the bow to take on larger waves. Would it help if I got some kind of performance plate for the engine? (Like stingray?). Or is it a case of more RPMs equals more bow rise with trim. Thank you so much it gets really snotty out on Charlotte Harbor
    It your toons have lifting strakes you could do what we have done with several older Crest HPT toons and that is remove the rear 30" of lifting strakes from the toons. This allowed more bow lift instead of pushing the stern up and forcing the bow down. You could try a different prop that provides more bow lift.

Phyrefighterjay

You might like to read on the T.A.P. Fins this will help.

a lot of info in after market, on this forum

Enjoy your pontoon
    Malcolm
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Hey phyrefighterjay:

Welcome to the PDB forums; sorry I didn't see your post & query earlier as I've been away for a few days & out of PC contact.

All good advice above but in order to help more we really need more info about your set up. Do you have lifting strakes on all
    three of the 'toons or just the center 'toon etc. What mounting hole is your motor bracket ? Top hole, second, higher etc.
    Do you have a trim gauge in your dash console ? What does it show when you are running about 3600/4000 RPMs ?

Do you have a 20" lower unit or 25" one ? what prop are you using now - 3 blade, 4 blade and most importantly what is the diameter and pitch ?
    As to Moser's question, is this a new boat and new 150 engine OR ? Please give us some more details and it's possible to suggest a correction
    without going into any surgical modifications such as removing pieces or adding whale tales etc.

Any modifications may include a different & more efficient prop or raising the engine but not getting out the hacksaw.
    Finally, do you have under the deck skinning and are the front splash fins on the forward edge of the 'toons in good shape.

A picture on a lift or trailer might be helpful.

Let us know - right now it's crapshoot without more info.
    P.S. Are your waves always 2 + feet high, how does she ride in calmer waters ?
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 03-02-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Update information
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Please any pictures sure would help to help you.
    Or have you over come your issue. ?
    Happy pontooner's we are....!
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

+ Reply to Thread