Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pontoon drain fittings

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm reasonably new to the technical level of pontoon ownership, but what is the purpose of these fittings? I thought it was to drain water, but in the event a pontoon has to drain water from one of the pontoon logs, isn't that a whole other problem?

You are correct jgruberman. I managed to run upon a wing dike last year when the river was 1' higher than normal (I knew it was there, just not "there." A new sandbar made me think it was a bit further away.) The plugs will allow me to verify that my logs are watertight when I remove it for its annual inspection/algae washing. My boat didn't come with them so I have to install them.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by belercous View Post
    You are correct jgruberman. I managed to run upon a wing dike last year when the river was 1' higher than normal (I knew it was there, just not "there." A new sandbar made me think it was a bit further away.) The plugs will allow me to verify that my logs are watertight when I remove it for its annual inspection/algae washing. My boat didn't come with them so I have to install them.
    Got it - so the plugs isn't so much for any other purpose than checking to make sure there is no water inside from an impact/dent/ding? Ideally, no log impacts so ideally they'd never be opened?

+ Reply to Thread