Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual transducers.....problem??

Default Dual transducers.....problem??

Right now I am running a Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar GPS Chirp on my starboard toon.

I would like to mount another Helix 5 Sonar GPS (but not Chirp...older model) on my port toon and essentially run them both at the same time.

Does anyone know if there would be any kind of signal interference considering the transducers would be around 7 to 8 feet apart? Do I run the chance of incorrect readings especially in depth?

If they operate on different frequencies, then it normally should not be a problem. But with the CHIRP unit, it may cross talk with the older unit as they tend to "sweep" across frequencies. You may be able to network both units to one transducer, but not sure about the compatibility between the two units. That would be the best option though. A quick call to Humminbird would probably help alot..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Hey Rick. I read about working both off the same transducer but the cost is not really that great considering I already have the second transducer and it would cost me nothing to use it.
    I did send a msg to Humminbird asking them but after reading quite a bit it seems if I just make sure the Chirp is in the 200 range and the older model is in the 50 range I should be good.
    I will test both as they are...if a no go....change freqs. Hopefully that will solve any interference. If its does not, I will just take the second transducer off the boat.

If you can change the frequency they should ne ok, I've done that with Lowrance units and they worked well. If the Chirp interferes or if they do step on each other, just get the network cable and run both off the Chirp transducer. Alexa told me the cable is $26 on Amazon.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

BTW, I sent an older non Chirp helix 5 to Humminbird with an $80 check and they sent me back a Chirp unit.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hey Richinc:

I run a Humminbird on a side mount and a Lowrance 3500 in the dash. Both transducers are mounted on the port 'toon next to each other and both work fine.
    The Humminbird has a downward looking transducer that can be switched to side scanning mode. Both modes seem compatible with each other.
    I realize neither has the Chirp technology but I don't see any signal interference.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tony View Post
    Hey Richinc:

I run a Humminbird on a side mount and a Lowrance 3500 in the dash. Both transducers are mounted on the port 'toon next to each other and both work fine.
    The Humminbird has a downward looking transducer that can be switched to side scanning mode. Both modes seem compatible with each other.
    I realize neither has the Chirp technology but I don't see any signal interference.
    I "chatted" on line with Hum. and the frequency is the key factor. But, to get better separation, I ordered an extension cable so I can put the second transducer on the opposite toon than the first one. And, I will still change freqs.

I will keep you posted on what happens.

That's funny Tony, I have the same setup on my Sea Nymph. Humminbird 798 ci/HD on a Ram mount at the dash and Lowrance Elite 7 on a Ram mount, mounted on aluminum trolling bar at the stern. The transducers are side by side on the port side of the transom and the two units work exactly as designed with either or both running.

The side imaging is oh so nice for spotting those bait clouds moving along the banks and on the steep drop offs, Elite 7 looks straight down to see what we are passing over and whats moving up behind us. I use them for netting and then trolling live bait for Stripers.

My pontoon has a small Garmin with no mapping at all, I am looking to upgrade that a bit this season.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread