Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MiniLake

Default MiniLake

I was walking along our dock, and I noticed this apparently very well-kept Bennington with a large "puddle" in one area of the canvas. One would think it was caused by the canvas not being stretched sufficiently tight. However, every other area seemed to have the proper tension and no other area showed that problem. What did they do wrong? I'm brand new to boating, so I'd like to learn how to avoid mistakes.Click image for larger version

Name:	BoatCanvas.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1549

As it started pooling the material started to stretch and there you go. May had happened before and the weak spot was already there. Add another pole would be the solution.
    Reiner & Family
    2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL
    XL-Performance Package
    150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke
    San Diego

Yes, the canvas is now stretched and since it is probably water resistant, (not water proof) it will stay a bit concave after the water is removed.
    There are several poles available for low bucks that are adjustable as to length. The owner will want one with a large rounded cap, perhaps 8 to 10"
    in diameter to support that area of the canvas. Also adding a plastic tie down clamp to the edge of the canvas with a tie down will help keep it taut.
    If left alone it will get worse over time.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ball+valv...ref=nb_sb_noss

One of these wlll empty it out in a minute.

Sometimes it is as simple as leaving a seat in a certain position or leaving an inflatable tube under it to hold it up. On my factory cover for the 2006 Forrester, that I bought in 2019, I had to make a bow from PVC pipe and 2 T's cut off to grip the rails, because the original seating across the rear is not there and the cover is cut to allow for the seat backs. The bow holds it up like the seat would have. If there was somewhere to post a pic, I'd show it.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread