Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fender Adjusters

Default Fender Adjusters

I just got my first boat, a Bennington 20 SLL. Iím told itís considered bad form to keep fenders trailing in the water when underway. For me, the boat is a way to get out of my office for an hour or two. I donít see myself untying six fenders, stowing them, then retying every time I go out for an hour or so. For several reasons, I donít see just flipping them over the rails to the interior of the boat. Primarily, theyíre in the way.
    Possible solution: I found these Taylor Made Tidy-Ups adjusters
    (https://www.amazon.com/Products-1016...35&sr=8-6&th=1) which seem like they would allow the fender to be raised and lowered easily, without having to untie/retie them. That might work. But some say the strap is too small for a square rail. Others say itís fine. Any advice?

2014 Premier Gemini 201
    Tow Vehicle: 2017 F-150
    Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

Those are nice. However, for 6 fenders, those would cost me $580.80 + tax. A bit too rich for me.

I just use those inexpensive plastic one that clip over the edge and has a hole to run the line through. Then, I tie a prussic knot that I can slide up or down, but wont easily slip, for height adjustment. These come off with an easy twisting action. Try to 'pull' them off and odds are you will break them.

Hey DocPit:

This is what I have used on all my boats for the past 10 or 12 years.
    Although when I started buying them they were only @ $3.95 each.
    My how inflation has hit the chrome snap industry...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko...CABEgJH8fD_BwE

Just screw down one on the forward curve of the bow rail and one on the stern.
    If you want 6 fenders hanging then you need one mid-ships. Still a decent price for all 6.

I'll bet you can find these Perko snaps at other place than West Marine but start looking there.
    I run a 1/4" line through the eye of each fender and a loop on the boat end.
    Go with braided nylon line: not the twisted poly line which snags on sharp edges.

Snap on - Snap off. Easy peazy.
    Works great !!
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

There are too many sharp edges on the first two for me, these things tend to slip our minds and will tear a seat up in a very short time if not positioned just right.. Tony's would be fine, but some situations call for moving the fender fore and aft. I have ones similar to the ones on this Amazon page, I got them 15 years ago on ebay and have moved them to 3 different pontoons and still using them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+p...ref=nb_sb_noss
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    There are too many sharp edges on the first two for me, these things tend to slip our minds and will tear a seat up in a very short time if not positioned just right.. Tony's would be fine, but some situations call for moving the fender fore and aft. I have ones similar to the ones on this Amazon page, I got them 15 years ago on ebay and have moved them to 3 different pontoons and still using them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+p...ref=nb_sb_noss
    Ok, at first I thought they screwed on but now I see they don't. I tie a prussic (hard to slip) knot and then use one of those small carabiners you can get at Walmart for a quick attach/detach through where you would run the line and actually never take the actual fender line holder off.

+ Reply to Thread