Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally changed my boats fluids

Default Finally changed my boats fluids

I finally changed the oil and lower unit fluid in my Suzuki DF150. I had realllllly been dreading doing it and don’t really know why. Being in my 70’s, I have changed oil and fluids in so many different machines it just didn’t make sense. Guess I was worried about messing it up and the cost to follow.

Anyway, here are some things I learned during the process.

One thing was as in all projects, make sure you have everything you need within reach and ready to go.

Another item was to be sure you have figured out how you are going to capture the oil as it leaves the engine because once you take out that last oil plug…..it’s a coming!
    With regards to changing the oil, I had two cowlings that had to come off. One was the primary top one which was easy. Just three twist handle releases and off she came. The worse part was the weight and I ain’t as young as I used to be.

Now the nightmare of the project was the second cowling….the one that covers the oil filter.

There are about 7 screws I had to loosen. I was told by one fellow on one of the forums I follow to be sure and label each screw because they are different sizes and easy to get them mixed up. Well, that turned out not to be true. The screws are placed in the cowling such that you can loosen them but you cant take them out.

There was one screw that was the culprit in making this the nightmare part. I swear I had it loosened all the way but the cowling would not just come off. It took me literally 1 ½ hours to get that second cowling off. Again, afraid of pushing or pulling too hard and damaging something. But it did finally come off.

The only comment I have about the lower unit fluid change deals with the plugs themselves. They have a half inch wide grove. I had no screwdriver with a head that wide. And, great shades, were those plugs in there. But, like the cowling, I finally got them out.

I have found on line from a company named ZORO a socket with a half inch wide head. It is actually a little too thick but a little time on the grinder and I have made it fit the plug like a glove.
    I am not getting much use of the boat right now because of the virus stuff and the weather but I will be changing the oil at the end of the year just for the challenge!!
    Good luck on your first go.

2 things to investigate, a pump to pull the oil out of the crankcase through the dipstick hole, and a lower profile filter that will come off without removing the cowling. My 50 Merc has 2 filter numbers, one is about an inch and a half shorter than the other and much easier to change, both of them will sufficiently filter the oil.

I have an electric one now, but I used this pump before I got it. The electric one was 70% off at Gander's when they closed out the boat stuff, I could not pass it up.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pactrade-Mari...g-goods&sr=1-3
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Moser, I checked those out earlier. I guess I am too "old school" to trust a pump. Don't see how that can get the majority of the contaminants out as when normally drained.

As for the oil filter, no matter what size it is they have it situated such that the cowling HAS to come off. What irks me is the idiot that designed the motor such that you HAVE to take off the upper cowling to check the oil. For a 150 that is a big...and heavy....cowling and if I dropped it I would highly doubt it would float!!

The filter they probably did on purpose to get the service work for the dealers.

The elecrtic pump is vacuum pump that really draws down, I think it takes out stuff that the drain does not. The hand pump would too if you pumped long enough, but it does get old.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread