Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Might want to think twice about buying a new Evinrude

Default Might want to think twice about buying a new Evinrude

They are done with outboards...And yes, it's hard to believe, but true...

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/brp-...boat-packages/
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Yea, I read that a couple days ago. Really feel for the people that plucked down the big bucks and now support is uncertain. I know they say they will support them in the article I read but heck trying to get support sometimes for my boat is non existent.

Especially since they have a 10 year warranty. I think it might be iffy getting warranty work 5 to 10 years down the road, as I'd guess many of the necessary qualified techs will be working elsewhere by then. I hated to hear this news, as I've had nothing but great luck with all the past OMC 2 stroke engines I've had. But with that said, I think the future is 4 stroke. My last motor was a 4 stroke and given the choice, I would have to say that would be my choice again. But there are still a ton of newer and older 2 strokes still in use and doing just fine.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

I saw a dealer who posted that BRP is going to continue to support all the warranties and and that they expect BRP to bring Evinrude back with 4 stroke models and maybe even elecrtric outboards. It's sad that they have given up on DI 2 strokes and the brand and 650 jobs are gone for now.

You have a very valid point though, what is to keep the dealer from going to Merc or Yammy and saying buzz off to the Evinrude customers. BRP should assure owners of Evinrude engines that Sea-Doo dealers will service their engines, kind of like GM did with Pontiac. My brother had a 2009 G6 that a Chevy dealer did warranty work on.

This is a small market and the OMC, then BRP dealer was on lake Rayston before the COE bought it. His family operated a marina on the original powerplant lake created in 1920. They have a good reputation, and maybe saw something coming, they became a Merc dealer in 2018, but continue to service and do warranty work on the Evinrudes and Johnsons they sold for 70 years.

One thing now at Raystown, if you buy a new boat, it's getting a Yammy or Merc, no one else is here.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread