Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: old guy with a problem

Default old guy with a problem

1999 suntracker 24 with 3.0 mercruiser steern drive bought new in barn for 12 years would like to add hydraulic steering serious problem from start . dealer did not know this unit should not be sold with out power steering . so question has any one added hydraulic steering ? seems that space is the problem . tried to reach out to sun tracker . no help

Hey Tracker 1:
    Welcome to the PDB Forum. I have a few questions for you about your Mercruiser 3.0.
    First of all how experienced are you with ourdrives ? Merc or other brands or even outboards.
    Sorry to ask such a question but many new to the boating world may not know that these generally steer well without Power.

Do you know about the adjustable trim tab that is located on the anti-cavitation plate just above the prop ?

Generally speaking the trim tab compensates for torque steer, (hard or difficult in one direction or pulling to the untrimmed side) and can be used to balance things out.
    Having said that there may not be a perfect solution at all speeds and at all lower unit levels.

First, drive the boat at a "Normal Cruising" speed that you would prefer: I.E. with your usual load of people, gear, fuel, coolers, seating locations etc.
    On your boat with that 3.0 you will probably find that 18 to 22 indicated MPH, (you do have a speedo right) will be comfortable without full throttle running and should keep you moving well.
    While running at 18 to 22 MPH be sure your lower unit, outdrive, is not trimmed way down, (in) but runs with the anti-cavitation plate about level with the water surface.

This would be the usual trim position. Only trim way in when starting out from a static position, then as the boat moves forward begin trimming out, up, 'till A/C plate is level.
    Now we can assess the torque steer effect. If it is difficult to turn the steering wheel to the left or right, OR if the boat tries to pull to the left or right; then you need to adjust the trim tab.

If at your best cruising speed and boat load/RPM, the boat tries to turn to the right, adjust the tab a little to the right of center. Obviously if it tries to go left, adjust to the left.
    How much you say ? Experiment !! A little adjustment goes a long way. REMEMBER that this only seems perfect at your preferred speed & load.

If you bring the outdrive down the steering will react as it will if you bring it up too much. Generally speaking, this 3.0 setup does not require power steering.
    And I'm not sure Mercury even offered it with P/S when built. I'm attaching 2 links to help you understand this issue and adjust your trim tab.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-powersteering
    https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014...ng-in-trim.asp

Take the plastic plug out above the trim tab, with a socket and extension on a ratchet loosen the bolt while holding the tab with your hand.
    Make the proper adjustment in the correct direction for your issue and tighten the bolt. Drive the boat and notice the difference.
    You may have to make more than one adjustment to get the desired result, in fact I'll bet on it.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Also, on a 20 year old boat, you may have a binding or sticking steering cable. Sometimes a new steering cable can make a lot of difference. To test, you would have to disconnect the cable at the rudder and see if there's any sticking, binding or odd noises when you turn the steering wheel back and forth. Just a thought in addition to the good advice from Tony..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

thank Rick and captain Tony appreciate your answers from what i am able to find this was one of the first built with io my two provisos boats both v hull had io power like inboard out board Steering under power fair to good docking very difficult seems that t he stern i o bend restricts the cable . have checked as best i can how ever it appears free Have not been able to have an answer from suntracker . they have no tech support told to go to dealer who is out of business local bass pro not helpful i am looking into a hydro drivr haudralic unit . how ever space in motor compartment limited . octopus stern drive another company . How ever no one even the old telefex ( now dometric sea star has local Norfolk virginia beach reps ) again thank you appreciate all info have over 20 hours looking for answer henry

Rick i will also do AS YOU SUGGESTED DIS CONNECT AND CKECK HENRY

As usual, I overlooked the obvious - "20 year old boat"

Rick may be right on, check the cable first; but eybal the trim tab on the IO outdrive to get a relative picture of it is way more that parallel with the unit.
    If it seems angle to the right or left, after the cable, start adjusting.

As to SeaStar Hydraulic steering, NOT power, if there is room to install the slave cylinder and related hoses, it may help with the effort
    and eliminate a cable BUT if the trim is out of whack it will still need to be dialed in.

Hydraulic Steering is not the same as Power Steering with an engine driven pump & hoses etc..
    Captain Tony

thank you captain tony will do your suggestion was hoping hydraulic would help. local old timer said electric assist would work if space is available how ever it would be very costly. will check the cable and trim tab . henry

Captain Tony a??? question do you think adjusting the trim tab will have a desired effect on the steering at low docking speeds? That is my most severe problem Under slow to above idle say 3>6 mi per hour docking that is my dufficulty henry

Not likely to have much effect at that slow of speed. More for when running faster...
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Agreed....The trim tab on the outdrive is only effective when you are going faster and it helps to counteract the torque produced by the rotating propeller.

As to low speed, dock speed etc. Look for a different problem for a solution.

Have you dis-connected the steering cable and tried to turn the wheel ? Is it tight or easy ? Start there as Rick advised.

Let us know what you find please.
    Captain Tony

+ Reply to Thread