Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regarding VHF radio

Default Regarding VHF radio

Based on online reviews, I purchased an ICOM IC-M93D VHF. The manual says the battery charges in "approximately 3 hours." It also reads: "WARNING! NEVER charge or leave the battery in the battery charger beyond the specified time for charging...Continuing to charge ...may cause a fire, overheating, or the battery may rupture." That got my attention.

I'll plug-in the charger, then attend to other matters. There's no way I will consistently remind myself to remove the unit from the charger at a given time. Is there any VHF that does not have this liability?

Hey DocPit:

It's not related to the brand.
    It is idiosyncratic of Lithium Ion batteries.

If the unit you purchased has L I batteries then they need to be monitored as to heat build up and/or charging time.

Have you not seen videos or news stories of the people who have Vapor Smoking devices or Hover boards or laptop computers
    whose devices have spontaneously erupted in flames ? It happens all the time.

A better maybe safer technology is the Nickle Metal Hydride battery, which has a shorter run time shelf life after charging
    but doesn't seem to have the bursting into flames issues that LI batteries may have.

Although having said that; many many LI battery devices get along just fine with extended charging as long as the
    battery does not swell or get excessively warm/hot.

Lithium-ion batteries are made of carbon and highly reactive lithium, which can store a lot of energy, but are sometimes unstable.

NiMH batteries will last for 500 – 1000 charges or @ two to three years, the more you use and charge NiMH, the longer they will last.

NiCad, Nickle Cadmium batteries are the "old school" rechargebles but are environmentally unfriendly.

Keep an eye on any charging process, even your boat battery unless the charger is "Smart" and reduces the Amperage and shuts off when done.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Can you exchange it for the ICOM M25??
    I googled the one you got and I could not see anywhere that it could be charged like a phone using an actual phone cable. I have the M25 and if for some reason I forget to charge it before an outing no problem, I can charge it on the boat using the phone charger plug in.

Good info Tony! Had to work to understand some of it though.... idiosyncratic in particular.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Ha !!

Thanks Rick - every once in awhile I like to pull out a 50 cent word to add a little class to the forum.

I stand by it though as Webster says:

adjective
    The definition of idiosyncratic is quirky or peculiar, or the temperament which is unique to an individual.
    Li Ion batteries fit that definition.

Some of us humans fit as well. As we have seen in previous forum discussions.

Ha !!

When you smile, it makes others wonder what you have been up to.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Use a cheap lamp-timer or electric-outlet timer to plug your charger into, and set the timer for the charging period desired. Horrible Fright sells them, as does Home Depot and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Electric+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

+ Reply to Thread