Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tilt support lever

Default Tilt support lever

Got my first boat recently. I keep the engine trimmed up when the boat is in the slip. I just learned that my Yamaha Vmax 115 has a tilt support lever. From the manual: "To keep the outboard motor in the tilted up position, lock the tilt support lever to the clamp bracket." Assuming I can find the lever, my fear is that I will forget to unlock the tilt support lever before lowering the engine. In some sense this is a dumb question. If the manual says lock it, I suppose I should lock it and put a permanent sign on the steering wheel: "Unlock the tilt support before you touch the trim button, Idiot." I'm just curious how many people do use that lock lever.

I use the lock lever in the off seasons when it's to cold to use the boat (which for me is 85 degrees). It's used to keep the trim system from bleeding down over time. My system doesn't bleed down, but it's good insurance to keep it from creeping into the water & going through a freeze. If you try to trim the engine down with it engaged nothing will happen.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

I seldom, if ever use the lock lever on my Merc. Optimax.

The trim cylinders hold fine in the summer on the in dock lift.

This keeps the lower unit from dropping into the water if the
    trim were to bleed down, (fingers crossed on good seals) and
    since I winterized the boat with the engine vertical, again no tilt lever.

I suppose I might have used it when ever I haul out for the occasional
    servicing on land or when trailering but I also have a prop for the
    engine to trailer brace if I have to go very far.

At this point, it's your call. Use or not but i like your idea of a note on the
    wheel. Just as a point of reference: if your pontoon is in a slip and you
    are at the end of your daily use, how do you crawl around every awkward
    obstacle to reach the tilt lever ??
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 07-15-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPit View Post
    Got my first boat recently. I keep the engine trimmed up when the boat is in the slip. I just learned that my Yamaha Vmax 115 has a tilt support lever. From the manual: "To keep the outboard motor in the tilted up position, lock the tilt support lever to the clamp bracket." Assuming I can find the lever, my fear is that I will forget to unlock the tilt support lever before lowering the engine. In some sense this is a dumb question. If the manual says lock it, I suppose I should lock it and put a permanent sign on the steering wheel: "Unlock the tilt support before you touch the trim button, Idiot." I'm just curious how many people do use that lock lever.
    Doc, I’ll bet your Yamaha Owner’s Manual says the same thing MY Yamaha Owners Manual says...which is to use the lock lever ONLY FOR MAINTENANCE...NOT FOR TRAILERING. It is for the purpose of keeping the unit from being lowered on a workman, not to support the engine in ordinary use.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Yes, good point Foghorn. The lock is definitely not for trailering. It's not a substitute for the bar.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Should you accidentally hit the down button with the lock in place the tilt motor will let you know by making a higher pitch sound as it tries to push down thru the lock. I have done it on occasion, without harming anything.

I have seen tilt locks looking like a loose tooth from being used to support a bouncing engine for transportation.

I think it would help to use it in a long term stowing situation, both to stop the unintended lowering of the motor, and to ease the pressure on the hydraulics.

PA gives us "Is the plug in?' stickers for dashboards.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread