Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Cover and Deck Framing/Bumper

Question Pontoon Cover and Deck Framing/Bumper

I am in the process of replacing my pontoon bumper edges(the metal frame around the decking) from bump damages and the bumper frame has buttons screwed into it for the "G3 OEM" cover to snap to. If I want to avoid damages in the future, I understand that I can put bumpers all around the frame but then that covers the cover snaps.

So my question is, can I just get any aftermarket pontoon cover that goes AROUND the bumper and deck so I don't have to worry about snapping a cover to the bumper guards? Does anyone have any similar experience? I feel like I replace those snaps all the time from bumps so I just want to protect the bumper long term.

Not sure what your boat's configuration is. Could you post a photo or two? Have you considered using bumper buoys?
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Basically it gets a lot of "bump damage" from what I assume is docks and such. I figure if I "cushion" around this entire railing then I can get one of those "over the deck" covers and not use the OEM snap on one.

Here is a pic of typical damage found around the whole boat and a pic of the entire boat.

http://imgur.com/a/u8vP4IO

You might try attaching a rubber molding or rub rail on the bumper edging, just below the snap buttons are so the cover will still be usable. The most economical way would prolly be to use something like Taylor Made dock edging: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/tayl...m-dock-edging/

Or you could look into rub rails such as those sold by Great Lakes Skipper: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ca...lt/?q=rub+rail

Hope this helps, KRE
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

My actual question was more oriented around the cover. I'd rather NOT have to use the snaps and use the OEM cover because I rent my pontoon out and the snaps always ding and dent. I want to basically protect all the edges, so my focus is more on a DIFFERENT cover. So my question is, can I just get any aftermarket pontoon cover that goes AROUND the bumper and deck? Or do I still need something boat specific?

Adding a bumper rail will make it harder for the snaps to come into contact with docks & other things. The snaps are something like 3/8" proud of the bumper rail so adding a rub rail which is 7/16"+ just below them ought to keep them from contacting whatever it is that dents them.

If a different cover is what you're looking for you'll most likely have to have one custom fitted to the boat. Perhaps your existing cover could be modified by having a 5" (or so) perimeter edge sewn on which secures with a draw string. I seriously doubt that you'll find an aftermarket cover specific to your boat in the configuration you're wanting.
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by belercous View Post
    Adding a bumper rail will make it harder for the snaps to come into contact with docks & other things. The snaps are something like 3/8" proud of the bumper rail so adding a rub rail which is 7/16"+ just below them ought to keep them from contacting whatever it is that dents them.

If a different cover is what you're looking for you'll most likely have to have one custom fitted to the boat. Perhaps your existing cover could be modified by having a 5" (or so) perimeter edge sewn on which secures with a draw string. I seriously doubt that you'll find an aftermarket cover specific to your boat in the configuration you're wanting.
    Maybe I'm not understanding your description then. The canvas is very tight when snapped down, so not sure how adding bumpers BETWEEN the snaps will be able to work. Do you have an image or example of what you mean?

The bumper railing would be installed just below the cover snaps on your boat's bumper rail. The bumper rail would not be covered by the boat cover. My boat has a rubber bumper rail built in from the factory. It is the black stripe you see running all around the boat between the pontoons & the body panels.
    Attached Thumbnails IMG_9562..jpg  
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Search for a rubrail and track. You would mount the track below the existing snaps and slide the rubrail in it. That gets you the bump protection and lets you use the factory cover until it is worn out.

Aftermarket covers tend to be way big for what you buy them to do, I don't think you'd have a hard time finding one big enough to cover everything, if you want it to. I have had several aftermarket covers and they are very hard to get to fit at all tight and end up just catching and holding water. I had one made for the boat last year when I redid the interior.

I'm curious about renting out your boat, how do you handle the liability insurance? If I could find affordable insurance that let me feel good about the boat and people on it, I have a couple I would rent out. All the groups and insurers I can find want 40% of the rental for insurance.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    I'm curious about renting out your boat, how do you handle the liability insurance? If I could find affordable insurance that let me feel good about the boat and people on it, I have a couple I would rent out. All the groups and insurers I can find want 40% of the rental for insurance.
    I rent through Boatsetter and the insurance is paid for by the renter via a Peer to Peer policy established through Boatsetter. So for example, I charge 499 for a full 8 hour day for my boat. The renter pays taxes and insurance(comes out around 600ish) and I get $375 of the $499 rental price. The rest goes to Boatsetter for the original taxes, insurance and their cut. It's not a huge amount of money, but considering we rarely use it, figured any money is better than nothing. So to answer your actual question, the insurance is all covered by a 3rd party Peer to Peer policy handled at the time off rental.

Renters also have a $500 hold placed on their CC(From what I've been told) and if I report any damages, that $500 goes through and an additional $500 gets charged to cover their P2P policy's $1000 deductible. Then I get a quote from a shop for parts and labor and Geico pays me out that amount minus $1000 deductible and Boatsetter releases the $1000 collected to me as the outstanding balance. Then I get the work done. It's happened before(only one reckless renter out of about 20), and I was paid out fully by insurance. This is how the whole "I'm replacing the bumper rails and want to protect them" posting thing happened, the rails are part of the insurance claim that are on order

Sidebar: Out of curiosity, I called my personal insurance carrier and asked them if I could rent my boat out and purchase a Peer to Peer policy through them, and they said no, they don't allow that but they referred me to Boatsetter.com that "would be able to assist me with Peer to Peer policies". Nice little referral racket they have going there lol

+ Reply to Thread