Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power wash logs?

Default Power wash logs?

New to the site and pontoons for that mater, so thanks in advance. Is it ok to pressure wash the logs on my tri-toon? Just want to make sure I don't hurt them. I leave the tri-toon in a slip so they get kind of gross, so I thought maybe pulling it out once a month and power washing them? Yes/No/ suggestions?

Dhub:

For years I had power washed my Tritoon logs - on the trailer, in the gravel driveway, on my back and knees with no room to get the center log clean.
    Yes, it hurts....Not the 'toons but me !!

I just used water and the power sprayer but first I would spray white vinegar on them from a plastic bottle with hand sprayer.
    It really seemed to help break down the gunk. Let it soak in for a few hours and re-apply just before the power wash.

Once, a long time ago, I tried an acid spray - Don't waste your time or money and the acid does hurt the aluminum if done frequently.

So 3 seasons ago I bought and assembled a vertical lift with a hand crank, ( they also have battery operated/solar rechargers)
    and electric winch cranks, but I'm too cheap and don't have power down to the dock.

So far - So good. I just have to watch the lake levels regularly to avoid too little or too much level.
    There is no such thing as a perfect solution but this sure beats on my back on the gravel driveway with a power wand.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Thanks for the tip of white vinegar, I'll sure try it. The bottom of the logs don't really look that bad, just the 4" - 6" or so from the water line down. I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt to scrub in the white vinegar with a bissell brush?

Vinegar & scrubbing with a Bissel & powerwashing ain't gonna hurt you toons. Acid washing does remove alum, but its not all that much if neutralized quickly. Just to be safe I wouldn't do it more than 20-30 times, but an acid wash is an easy way to clean your cleans logs fast. The best & cheapest acid wash is NAPA's store brand of Aluminum Brightener. I've found nothing that does a better job & no other product is anywhere near this cheap, especially if you buy it by the gallon. Be aware that it doesn't make AL shiny, but rather turns it white.

Since I only take my boat out of the water once a year it gets serious algae build up (& sometimes freshwater barnacles which makes the algae look like Kool-Aid stain) so I have to spend several hours powerwashing the logs off. I've found that letting the algae dry out works better than trying to remove it when damp, but it's still a PIA.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Vinegar IS acid. Acetic acid.
    Dilute battery acid will clean aluminum brilliantly.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

To Dhub and Foghorn:

Distilled white vinegar is an effective and chemical-free household cleaner.
    The acetic acid in vinegar kills many strains of bacteria on surfaces and inhibits the growth of new bacteria and mold.

While this is considered acid by virtue of it's Ph chemical make up.. it is not like Aluma Brite or other commercial brighteners.
    If you use White Vinegar, not Cider Vinegar or common yellow vinegar, you will not live long enough to notice any metal removal.

Also, battery acid is Electrolite and that is much more dangerous to handle, even in a diluted form.
    Just trying to dilute it from the raw form can cause skin burns not to mention the hole hat show up later in your clothing.
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 07-27-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: updating
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread