Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trailer Question

Default Trailer Question

So my trailer breakaway cable was still connected to my truck when I pulled away and accidentally pulled it. I have been trying to figure out that I have it reset but the instructions on UFP's website aren't too clear. It's a UFP60 hitch. When i stick a screwdriver into the hole to pry, I can pry the actuator and "set it", but then when I push the little tab, it "snaps" forward. Not sure which position is actually "disengaged" and ready to drive. Any idea?

https://m.imgur.com/a/WkwHzJy

https://www.expediter.com/wp-content...e-Actuator.pdf

Lacking the instruction sheet, try this:

Hook up your trailer, "reset" the actuator - usually in the rearward position.

Try to pull forward. If resistance from the trailer then the brakes are engaged.

If resistance then try the opposite reset position and repeat the trailer pull.

The whole idea of the "breakaway" cable is to set the brakes on the trailer if the ball & coupler become separated.

P.S. If you have a 5 or more wire trailer wiring harness, then you need to plug in the car to trailer harness
    as one of the wires electrically disengage the brakes when backing up or down a grade.

Actually any backing motion would lock brakes if the harness is not connected.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tony View Post
    Lacking the instruction sheet, try this:

Hook up your trailer, "reset" the actuator - usually in the rearward position.

Try to pull forward. If resistance from the trailer then the brakes are engaged.

If resistance then try the opposite reset position and repeat the trailer pull.

The whole idea of the "breakaway" cable is to set the brakes on the trailer if the ball & coupler become separated.

P.S. If you have a 5 or more wire trailer wiring harness, then you need to plug in the car to trailer harness
    as one of the wires electrically disengage the brakes when backing up or down a grade.

Actually any backing motion would lock brakes if the harness is not connected.
    The instruction sheet is included in my original post, it's the second link to the PDF. I ASSUME I read it correctly, but I didn't want to assume in the case of tires and brakes supporting a large boat lol

The instructs indicate the “clip” is destroyed when the cable was pulled, and will have to be replaced. You might contact your trlr mfr’r.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread