Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost the anchor yesterday

Default Lost the anchor yesterday

I guess we were in about 9+' of water yesterday in a stumpy/rooty/loggy creek off the lake. It was a navy anchor with a 5' chain. Given that we'll continue to anchor in stumpy/rooty/loggy waters (the lake is like that too), what anchor should I get? The danforth and hinged fluke anchors get good reviews, but reviews of the slip ring versions of them are not consistent. I'd think the wings on the danforths would be even more likely to tangle in crap under water.

Oh well, this give me the opportunity to buy a longer rode, and provides enough rope to whip up (pun intended) some proper fender lines.
    2021 18' Sun Tracker Bass Buggy
    60 hp Merc
    Lake Livingston, East Texas

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide
    Camelia Lake, Huntsville, East Texas

Hi, Rick!
    (I’m a fellow Texan over on Lake Travis.... but used to own property on Livingston.... Dad bought it before the lake was built for the express purpose of having a lakefront lot.)

How exactly did you lose the anchor? Broken rode? Or other...?

I tie a large figure-8 knot about 10 ft from the bitter-end of my rode so when it slips thru my fingers I know to “grab” it to prevent loss. (Don’t ask...)
    I also have a swimming-pool type float on the bitter end so it will at least float on top or at least off-the-bottom should it actually get away from me.

I like Navy style anchors and have one on each of my boats, with my second anchor a Danforth.

Hope this help.s
    George
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by FogHorn View Post
    Hi, Rick!
    (I’m a fellow Texan over on Lake Travis.... but used to own property on Livingston.... Dad bought it before the lake was built for the express purpose of having a lakefront lot.)

How exactly did you lose the anchor? Broken rode? Or other...?

I tie a large figure-8 knot about 10 ft from the bitter-end of my rode so when it slips thru my fingers I know to “grab” it to prevent loss. (Don’t ask...)
    I also have a swimming-pool type float on the bitter end so it will at least float on top or at least off-the-bottom should it actually get away from me.

I like Navy style anchors and have one on each of my boats, with my second anchor a Danforth.

Hope this help.s
    George
    Hi George,

I had to cut the line. The anchor evidently got caught in some roots or logs. We were against some overhanging trees on the bank so I was only able to move the boat around three sides trying for a better angle, but still no luck.

I've been looking online and have seen the breakaway anchors where you attach the chain to the crown and zip tie it to the shank eye. Sounds promising. A catfishing forum vid showed a "river anchor" where the flukes could bend if stuck, but I dunno about that. I realize nothing will guarantee I'll never lose another anchor, I'm just trying to increase the odds in my favor.

Good idea with the float, I'll have to steal that from you.

Rick
    60 hp Merc

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide

Ouch !!! What a shame but rest assured it is still down there. A snagging expedition to grab some of the rode
    would be my next try. If you can get a grip on the line it's possible to work it & work it enough to get it loose.

Lacking that, 9 to 10 ' of water is not too much for a younger person with a snorkel & mask. A $10.00 bill
    (or more) may have to pass hands to get that diver interested. I'd do it for you you but I need travel
    expenses from Missouri to Texas & back but you can buy a new anchor - chain & plenty of rode for that kind of bitcoin.

I boat at Lake of the Ozarks and we have all types of bottom from mud, sand, trees, crappie beds and old church foundations
    down there from when the lake was formed in 1930. Having said that I use a Danforth type fluke anchor off the bow
    and occasionally throw a medium weight mushroom type off the stern if I'm anchored near others to keep from
    swinging on the hook.

I think your present choice was good but you needed an escape plan as far as a bouy or trip line in such shallow depths.

Good luck overall but I'd still try to rescue the first anchor.
    Let us know how it works out.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I've been looking online and maybe another Navy anchor or a Danforth-type (without the 'wings'), and a break-away chain attachment seem like the best chance for next time. But no matter what I would have had last weekend, it wouldn't have helped when we lost the anchor. I got all around and then dead over it but it would not budge.
    60 hp Merc

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide

That tells me you really got it wedged and any attempt to pull, remove or dis-lodge it only served to wedge it in deeper.

Back to the Lloyd Bridges routine, Diver, Snorkel or Dy-no-mite !!!!

Seriously, 9+ feet is not that much but how is the underwater visibility ?

Keep us updated. Water is getting cold this time of year I'll beet.
    Captain Tony

Anyone diving for an anchor needs to plan ahead. For example, a snorkel diver needs to keep clear of any entanglement himself. Also, plans need to be made for if/when the anchor is found...as to how to get it up...a diver is unlikely to be able to swim a Navy type up...so he’ll have to free-it then tie onto the flukes and bring another line to the surface to weigh it and haul it aboard.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Foghorn is right, please think any recovery dive all the way through, before anyone gets in the water.

I had this brought home to me at about 3 AM one warm Summer morning, when I was fishing alone and went down a cast nest line in my undewear to untangle the net from a stump. As I tossed the net off the stump, it started to gatner around my foot. I realized what ws going on and luckily shook it off my foot and bailed out on the recovery. I often wonder what the poor fisherman who found me would have thought I was trying to do.

When I bank up I tie from one bow eye, around a big tree twice and to the other bow eye. That keeps me on the bank and stable in most situations.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Well Guys, Foghorn & Moser both have good advice.

That's why I asked about under water visibility. I was in this same recovery mode once
    but wisely performed the operation in good daylight and with good under the water visibility.

It's not rocket science BUT if one goes down in murky water and later than in the daylight
    one is asking for trouble. Also let's be frank - if a person is not in good physical condition
    or has never snorkeled before then 3 feet is just as big of a danger as 9 feet.

The price of an anchor for those conditions is much lower than the price of a funeral
    but the end result of each is what you need to consider.

I like Moser's banking solution but on our lake we seldom get to tie up that way.
    So the 2 anchor solution is what I use.

Stay safe - stay healthy
    Captain Tony

Update.

Diving for the lost anchor was a no go for two reasons. The water in the creek is between tea and coffee for visibility... and we didn't mark the location. I bought a whole new rode: 100' 3-strand line, 10' chain, and a 15 lb slip-ring Danforth anchor.

We moved to a better marina at a better location on the south end of the lake. The north end where we were has the majority of the stumps in water up to 20' deep for the most part. The south end, towards the dam, has deep fairly-clear water 40'-60' avg up to 90'. We will drift fish out in the deep stuff and anchor closer to shore where my line will have enough scope length.
    Last edited by Rick Carpenter; 12-11-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    60 hp Merc

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide

+ Reply to Thread