Thread: Lost the anchor yesterday

Sounds like a great plan.

I like the Danforth.

Enjoy - stay healthy
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

That is one of the great attractions of Raystown, 105 miles of undeveloped shoreline, you can tie off anywhere you want to.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I remember growing up in Houston when Lake Livingston was in the planning stage. It basically was a dam placed on the Trinity River between Dallas and Houston for the primary purpose as a reservoir for Houston water, and secondarily for recreation and development. My Dad bought 40+ acres as an investment (which kinda surprised the family because he was an electrician ...not an investment banker...) and he was not a fisherman or boater. Also the property he bought was clearly going to become flooded when the lake filled so Mom surely thought it was silly to buy land that was known to become a bottom of a lake somewhere.
    Sure enough... about 8 acres of his purchase became submerged... which we later realized was his plan all-along in order to guarantee waterfront. (He was paid for the submergence by the Corps of Engineers so he broke even on the submerged property.). He ended up subdividing it into ten lots and selling it off to individuals. I don’t have any idea how his bottom line worked out.... but now, 60 years later... I wish he’d kept one of those waterfront lots and left it to me. LOL

In a humorous footnote: Since the Trinity River flows thru Dallas on it’s way to Houston and the Galveston Bay.... for the Dallas Cowboys games played in Dallas against Houston Oilers.... the men’s room urinals would have signs placed over them: “Please flush twice... Houston needs the water”. ROFLOL
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Carpenter View Post
    Update.

Diving for the lost anchor was a no go for two reasons. The water in the creek is between tea and coffee for visibility... and we didn't mark the location. I bought a whole new rode: 100' 3-strand line, 10' chain, and a 15 lb slip-ring Danforth anchor.

We moved to a better marina at a better location on the south end of the lake. The north end where we were has the majority of the stumps in water up to 20' deep for the most part. The south end, towards the dam, has deep fairly-clear water 40'-60' avg up to 90'. We will drift fish out in the deep stuff and anchor closer to shore where my line will have enough scope length.
    Update x2

We've been out a couple of times since my last response and the slip-ring anchor has worked well. We pretty much have the luxury of going out when the winds are down and in the big part of the lake the current is negligible, so the one time the anchor came up with the ring at the crown I had pulled the boat over the anchor and let the chain slip back down some before hauling it up.

Merry Christmas y'all!
    2021 18' Sun Tracker Bass Buggy
    60 hp Merc
    Lake Livingston, East Texas

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide
    Camelia Lake, Huntsville, East Texas

Well on a serious note, I'm attaching an article from the Lake Expo,
    published from the Lake of the Ozarks about a subject related but tragic story.

Be sure to haul anchor before departing the area.

https://www.lakeexpo.com/boating/boa...l-summary-next
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread