Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar panel charger

Default Solar panel charger

I'm considering buying a solar panel to help keep the trolling motor battery topped up. I'll have it mounted on the aft top rail over the motor. What specs or other considerations do I look for?
    2021 18' Sun Tracker Bass Buggy
    60 hp Merc

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide

Lake Livingston, East Texas

I haven't done a trolling motor battery but I have used them to keep the charge up on snow machine and 4 wheeler batteries while they sit. Charging a trolling motor that isn't also charging from the motor running is going to take either a long time or a pretty substantial solar panel. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Then you have the issue of do you MOUNT the panel or just connect it while your boat is stored?

I just wired the solar panel directly to the battery with a quick connect.These were smaller 12V batteries for ATVs and Snow Machines. My use was to KEEP them charged up while sitting or storage not RECHARGING after a significant drain but I honestly don't see what would be different other than the power of the solar panel and the amount of time it would take. I liked being able to disconnect my panels and or move them around to catch more sun so if I go that route for my pontoon I don't think I'll hard mount them anywhere. I didn't get my boat with a trolling motor or fish finder going to have those put on aftermarket or put them on myself. I haven't even set foot in my boat yet, it's still under wraps at the dealer. I'm planning on a dedicated battery for my trolling motor and am wondering if theres room in one of those little forward storage cubbies???? I watched this U-tube but it's more complex than I THINK I want to get. Having the ability to plug in shore power to charge would be nice but I may look into something more along the lines of a battery tender also on a quick connect. Just realize it's going to take a significant amount of time to charge a drained battery with either of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djHg5D-MitY

Default More infö and solar panel sizing

Looks like you would want at least a 100W panel which is going to be tough to mount.

pretty good info in this article
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...lar-panel.html

+ Reply to Thread