Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting mold off vinyl seats

Default Getting mold off vinyl seats

This question has probably been answered many times but would like to know if anyone has had success with removing mold

Hot, soapy water, with some bleach in it and elbow grease, on a dish rag, or with a small brush. Magic erasers are effective, but are abrasive and will dull your vinyl. Check the furniture, carpet and all the surrounding areas for colorfastness before you get the bleach solution on it. The specialized products made to cut mold are usually some sort of chlorinated solution, and most of them work well too.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hey boomer535:

I've had good results from StarBrite brand mildew & stain remover. Look for it in a qt. or gal. size with a yellow label - it has a red circle with a slash through it like "ghostbusters".
    Just spray or wipe Mildew Stain Remover on vinyl cushions, chairs etc. Do not rinse until mildew stain disappears. some stains need a second coat and light scrubbing with a cloth.
    Be sure to rinse with a damp cloth wet with clear water. Rinse well. It seems to leave a protective film on the vinyl for the season and next year it's not as prevalent.

You can find it at lots of stores including Walmart in some cities and Lowes / Home Depot etc. West marine also carries it and a West Marine version under their own label but more expensive.
    Good luck.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Hello boomer535:

I hope all is well. We purchased a used pontoon that had been neglected and the seats were in bad shape mold-wise. I tried several products with little to no success. Marine 31 was the best and putting a dent in it, but we ultimately settled on a product called Rub 'N Restore (https://rubnrestore.com/).

It's basically a paint product for vinyl and leather. I'd post some before and after pics, but I can't see how to. I'll try to send you a PM with the pics.

Greg
    Greg
    Middletown, DE
    Cruising on the Bohemia and Elk Rivers in Maryland

2006 Avalon Windjammer 2023
    Mercury 60HP 4-Stroke

AH-HA! Figured out how to add the pics!

Here are a couple of before and after of our seats. It took several coats of the Rub 'N Restore Marine product to achieve this, but it was easy. My only regret was not also mixing the paint with the sealer for more of a satin finish. Our result was a bit too matted, so we're going to reapply this Spring and add the sealer.

Other than that, we couldn't be happier with the results. It's like night and day, and cost us less than $100.00!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails 48574.jpg   48576.jpg  
    Greg
    Middletown, DE
    Cruising on the Bohemia and Elk Rivers in Maryland

2006 Avalon Windjammer 2023
    Mercury 60HP 4-Stroke

I use White Vineger
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Quote Originally Posted by gmassott View Post
    AH-HA! Figured out how to add the pics!

Here are a couple of before and after of our seats. It took several coats of the Rub 'N Restore Marine product to achieve this, but it was easy. My only regret was not also mixing the paint with the sealer for more of a satin finish. Our result was a bit too matted, so we're going to reapply this Spring and add the sealer.

Other than that, we couldn't be happier with the results. It's like night and day, and cost us less than $100.00!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg
    WOW! Dramatic results! Congratulations!
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread