Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Sun Tracker vs. the field?

Default New Sun Tracker vs. the field?

Hi all...I am new to the forum and appreciative that a forum of experienced people like you exists! Our family boats on Lake Ontario. I am upgrading from my 19 ft. Sea Ray open bow to a Tritoon. The chop on Lake Ontario can be too much for my sea ray to handle in 15 mph winds...a little frustrating to sit home on a 80 degree day.

I am overwhelmed with the choices of tritoons. Of course I know Bennington, Berkshire and the like, but compared with the Sun Tracker series, I'd be paying at least $20,000 more for those brands. Looking for a reliable Tritoon to enjoy the lake for years to come and not have to worry about a little chop on a 80 degree sunny day.

My question is for a 24 foot Tritoon, 150 hp merc, do Sun Tracker's hold up over time? Looking at the PARTY BARGE 22 RF XP3...or is there a better option/investment to suit our needs. Thank you! There is a used one for sale near me 2017 for $33,500.
    Last edited by ontariochop; 03-02-2021 at 08:13 AM.

Tracker has horrible product assistance; they're only interested in selling new boats. I'm not impressed by their quality, (which is why they are cheaper) but mine has withstood a serious storm it was not designed for. If a boat (or anything) is of good quality, consider buying an older used one. Let somebody else take the hit & save your money.

Generally, Boats don't hold their value. Research what older used ones sell for. I could sell mine for what it sold new for in 1994, but it's a unique layout & I've practically rebuilt every thing on it.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Thank you for the reply. I agree with your philosophy 100%. The demand for tritoons, both new and used, is insane right now. The used ones are being listed at prices that far exceed the NADA prices. I can live with depreciation, so long as we keep the boat for a long time. That is the intent.

Well the market has changed quite a bit over the past 8 to 10 years. The pontoon market has grown by leaps & bounds and seems to be the strongest segment of the new boat market.
    Sorry to say that the pricing on new and even used pontoons have reached unheard of levels and not just because of the pandemic. However, the used market may be the lowest
    cost of entry into this segment. Even if you are paying an inflated price and have accepted this fact try to price yourself in a quality brand so it will be there in the long run.

What are quality brands you ask ? Well, look at some Benningtons, Crests, Premier, Manitou, and 1/2 dozen others that customer reviews have supported with high comments.
    Also try to find a Tri-toon in the used market as they will hold better value over twins, (generally speaking) and although it's difficult to be choosy in the used market, look for an
    outboard with the MAX HP as rated by the manufacturer of the boat. If your choice has too small an engine, repowering after the fact gets very expensive.

Good luck with your search & choices. I have a relative in the trailer manf. business and they are running 10 hours - 6 days per week and are 7 to 8 months behind demand.
    This is due to the high boat sales from the existing dealers. "Have a boat - need a trailer" !! It's a great sport so pay up and enjoy.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Thanks. Decided to go with the Sun Tracker xp3 w/ 200 hp merc. It was the max available. See you on the water!

Enjoy the boat and don't look back. You got a boat that you like with the max HP, that is an outstanding way to start pontooning.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hey ontariochop:

Good for you on that decision.
    The 200 HP Merc. is a great motor and will carry your Sun Tracker and guests to a lot of pontoon fun.

Send us pictures when you can.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread